Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share a little doodle on an egg :)
Trying to figure out what to do with all of Stuart's eggs that I've blown out... Figured they'd make nifty little ornaments as christmas gifts.
So my first shot was on the egg that I messed up and cracked to begin with, just for practice, and of course it turns out nice enough that I like it, lol.
ANYWAY, just a little scribbling I thought the pigeon folk might enjoy :) ...Drawing that tiny is haaard.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Very nice! Drawing on chicken eggs are a little bit easier. I'm still not good with the whole round surface thing.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Wow, Jivu!

That drawing is really terrific!!

Can't wait to see further examples!

And, what a GREAT Christmas ornament idea!! How many have PIGEON eggs as ornaments??

Sending ALL OUR BEST

Love and Hugs

Shi/MR. Squeaks/Dom/Gimie/WoeBeGone/Rae Charles :)

P.S. I just have a dishful of Woe's non-fertile eggs! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
That looks nice! I am trying to figure out whether you got the feather count right.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Jivu,
Wow!! How did you do the details so nicely? Well done :) Must be very hard to draw on such a small fragile surface. Looks like 'MaryofExter' [Becky] has competition! lol :p once again, well done. Try using color felt-tips. Peace,
YaSin

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Very nice! Drawing on chicken eggs are a little bit easier. I'm still not good with the whole round surface thing.
I did round ornaments w/ doves, bunnies, even did a pig once for someone! I tried drawing on paper then tracing but not fun w/ round surfaces. That was back when I could actually see AND use my hands! I broke plenty of those so a pigeon egg would have never made it out of my hands intact!:eek:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used to do it on duck eggs back when I had a pet duck, and those turned out nice. It was always in acrylic paint, though, this is my first pencil sketch. And the rounded surface was actually ok, I think it was the itty bitty scale that was the toughest.
And I probably didn't get the feather count right. With it being so little, I really had to "wing it" a bit for some areas ;)
And there's no way Becky's got competition. I love her art <3

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Right feather count or not, it still looks great! Something about the way the feathers on the head and neck turned out...reminds me of one of my darker colored grizzles. Looks just like her :D
I've seen your art on deviantArt and you do such good work! Love it :D

I haven't tried doing anything on duck eggs yet, even though I do have 3 single hens who do nothing but lay infertile eggs. They just keep hiding them from me or else we would eat them :p I can't remember if other ducks were the same or different, but my muscovies have very waxy shells. How do you think that would effect making art out of them? Would I need to sand them a bit first?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Very Nice Artwork!!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I could never eat my duck's eggs... they tasted awful. Or at least, very very different from the chickens' eggs. So I made hers into art :)
The shell on her eggs were a ton smoother than the chicken eggs, but that never made it any worse for painting :)
I've got around 20 little pigeon eggs to paint. Pretty fun!

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
If I remember right, I think we mixed a duck egg in with our chickens' for breakfast and it was fine. Because they are so thick and rich, they would be good for baking though :)

After 20 tiny eggs I have a feeling your hand may be cramping :eek: I might save a few pigeon eggs to try making into art. I have some coturnix quail eggs blown out that I think would make cute little bird nest decorations :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts