Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pigeon that flew up on the job site he wouldn t leave so i took him home ithought he was a he untill he laid a egg so i guess he is a she so what do i do .she is setting on it so how does this egg thing work. how does the male thing work. i am new to the pigeon thing .any help out there . i feel sorry for her if nothing is going to happen. thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Frist are you going to keep the bird in your home where it is warm?
If the bird had a mate than chances are the egg will be fertile and hatch if you let her set on it for 18 days, she will properly lay a 2nd egg in 2 days, that egg will not be fertile but you can either leave it in with her or take it out, she will care for the 1st egg until hatched, if left alone and not disturbed. at 5 days hold the egg up to a light and see if there is any blood lines in it, if so the egg is good, put it back under the hen. If it is clear than the egg is no good and you can though it out. congratulations you might be a parent.

·
Registered
857 Posts
If she had a mate the 2nd egg should also be fertile. Pigeon hens like most birds have sperm host glands that can keep sperm alive and viable for quite a while after they are deposited.
Keith

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I have a pigeon that flew up on the job site he wouldn t leave so i took him home ithought he was a he untill he laid a egg so i guess he is a she so what do i do .she is setting on it so how does this egg thing work. how does the male thing work. i am new to the pigeon thing .any help out there . i feel sorry for her if nothing is going to happen. thanks
if her mate is not around it would be hard for her to feed and raise the squabs on her own, and if you have a choice you should not let her do it, just remove the eggs and replace them with fake ones of about the same size, or what ever may work, some have used wooden craft eggs, small light bulbs large marbles.... you get the drift.... and she will sit the fake ones till she gives up, and thats it.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I'ts too hard on the female to set on those eggs alone and raise anything without her mate. after the 2nd one is laid (they usually lay two) I would take both out...Good luck with your pigeon...c.hert

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Question still is, what do you want to do with the bird? If you don't want it, throw out the egg and turn the bird loose where you found it, it will find it's family.
If you want to keep her, do what you want with the egg, (Past experience)I have had many a birds who lost their mate and raised her little one on her own, In fact some of the best racers let their birds have eggs before putting them in a race, makes them fly faster to get back home. Not all of them make it, so that only leaves the hen to feed. As long as she is warm, has food and water, and is left alone, one CAN do the job.

·
Registered
857 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts