Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:i purchased pigeon pellets for my pigeons,i also mix seed in with it,do pigeons prefer seed over pellets?i have been trying to change them over to pellets.what do you all feed your pigeons?i heard that if you feed pellets you don't need to feed grit because,its already in the pellets?thanks all.

· Registered
2,396 Posts
Pigeons prefer seed over pellets, and yes no matter what you feed they should have a good grit mix in front of them, since you are still feeding grain. even if you were not, i would still say give them the grit. It is their"teeth" as well as a supply of calcium, and trace minerals. Dave

· Registered
880 Posts
have tried pellets,,but to be honest they were not that interested,they ate them eventually but dont think they liked the texture much,i buy bags or tubs of pigeon mix,which includes stuff like peas and corn,they love it!sometimes make up my own feed with seeds/corn/peas/peanuts etc,im not sure about grit being in pellets,,i never paid much attention to ingedients,,i would still offer a wee drop of grit and check ingedients of pellets

· Registered
29,890 Posts
Don't know about the pellets having grit or not. But there is also calcium in grit. Do you give them oyster shell? If not, you'd have to give calcium somehow. My birds don't like pellets, but they were used to seed. I know lots of people feed them pellets, but it just seems that seed is more natural. That's just me. I use a pigeon mix, to which I add split peas, safflower, popcorn, lentils, and brown rice. They get grit with calcium in it, plus oyster shell. It's probably what they get used to. Some people feed both. I had to give mine to the ferrals outside.

· Registered
282 Posts
i've tried a bunch of different mixes with my two - trooper initially completely ignored seed, and would gobble down the giant zupreem pellets. then he switched back to seed.

at the moment, they have this amazing mix of brown rice, lentils, dried beans, and i don't even KNOW what else from an organic store here, which i bought out of the bulk bins. got some extra popcorn and peas from there, too. some regular wild bird seed, roudybush pellets, and topped off with the tops of some fresh-cut wheatgrass.

i read the same about the pellets containing grit, and lately i've noticed they're gobbling up the pellets, so i haven't put any grit in their house. i do try to keep switching things around little here, little there, to keep their diet interesting.

i have a bunch of parrots, too, and their base diet is roudybush pellets, and then everything else in the universe added to that!

my birds eat better than i do, for cryin' out loud.

· Registered
217 Posts
I use both pellets and grains. I also provide grit and oyster shell. It is a pain in the butt, but I put them all in different feeders. If I mix the pellets with the grain, they knock the pellets out of the way to get the grain. Also, they tend to pick their favorite out of the grain mixture and waste a lot of food. My breeders always have food in front of them. The birds I am training get fed morning and a little bit in the evening, depending on the weather and if I am flying them the next day.

· Registered
29,890 Posts
i've tried a bunch of different mixes with my two - trooper initially completely ignored seed, and would gobble down the giant zupreem pellets. then he switched back to seed.

at the moment, they have this amazing mix of brown rice, lentils, dried beans, and i don't even KNOW what else from an organic store here, which i bought out of the bulk bins. got some extra popcorn and peas from there, too. some regular wild bird seed, roudybush pellets, and topped off with the tops of some fresh-cut wheatgrass.

i read the same about the pellets containing grit, and lately i've noticed they're gobbling up the pellets, so i haven't put any grit in their house. i do try to keep switching things around little here, little there, to keep their diet interesting.

i have a bunch of parrots, too, and their base diet is roudybush pellets, and then everything else in the universe added to that!

my birds eat better than i do, for cryin' out loud.

Hi Lizz. Pellets don't contain grit. You still need to supply that to help them to grind up all those other things that you are feeding them. Just leave some down. They'll take what they need. But they do need it, and should have access to it.

· Registered
20,303 Posts
I have heard of some pellet feeds that the makers recommend NOT to feed extra grit with it, not sure why, can't remember, something to do with loose stools. but I think it is wise to feed a pellet and seed, they get the best of both and just use the pellet diet that you can still give grit with. the pellet has vit/minerals that are very good for the birds that they don't get with an all seed diet. but some feed all seed and do fine too. Ive added chicken laying mash or purina pellets to my seed and it adds vit/minerals and they(homers) seem to like it fine. Ive also heard when added to breeders diet it makes for strong big babies. that is if they eat it of course. mine peck at it but don't seem to want it over their favorite seeds and it is hard because you don't want breeders to be underfed, but if I fed them like my homers they would eat it all.

· Registered
11 Posts
:confused:i purchased pigeon pellets for my pigeons,i also mix seed in with it,do pigeons prefer seed over pellets?i have been trying to change them over to pellets.what do you all feed your pigeons?i heard that if you feed pellets you don't need to feed grit because,its already in the pellets?thanks all.
i feed my birds
CONDITIONER...​

· Registered
20,303 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has used "pigeon pellets that are round"? If so what is the brand name and who sells it?
purina nutra blend gold or nutra blend green, the two have differing protein levels so you can custom blend them. they look like round small cat food. here what one person says on a pigeon site about this feed:

Purina Nutrablend (Green & Gold Pellets):

There are many different kinds of pigeon feed. Pigeons should not be fed chicken feed it is not formulated to meet their needs. Nutrablend Green is a pellet type feed made by Purina. Pigeons will not waste any of this because it is an all-in-one type of feed.

The squabs grow really fast and are very healthy on this feed. Purina Nurablend Green is 18% protein for breeders; Gold is 16% protein for conditioning and maintenance. Purina suggests removing the grit from pens when using this feed because it already contains the minerals they need and the extra minerals pigeons receive from the grit will cause them to develop diarrhea. If not using this type of feed you will need to have pigeon red grit in the loft easily accessed by all the pigeons especially those in the breeding pen.

You can use a mixture of the green and gold pellets to suit your needs. There is a guide on the bag with suggested mixing ratio for different levels and needs. Breeders have noted runny droppings when using pellets. This is probably due to the high salt content of pellets which results in birds drinking more water. I have heard of breeders using Nutrina Layer Pellets, which has a lower salt content, with success.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.