Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Great feeds, use it all the time. The only other feed I use for racing is browns. For racing yb's try millenium and add safflower to the mix.

·
Registered
628 Posts
We bought 5 bags of DB racing and all 5 bags had safflower seeds that were empty inside. The birds refused to eat the safflower and would eat the barley which is the exact opposite of what it should have been. Check your safflower in the DB mix and make sure it is not empty inside. We switched to the international mix by Browns and had excellent race results. When you place 13th and 19th against over 1100 birds and 85 lofts in different weeks you have to say the feed is good quality. The only thing we add is hemp and barley.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We bought 5 bags of DB racing and all 5 bags had safflower seeds that were empty inside. The birds refused to eat the safflower and would eat the barley which is the exact opposite of what it should have been. Check your safflower in the DB mix and make sure it is not empty inside. We switched to the international mix by Browns and had excellent race results. When you place 13th and 19th against over 1100 birds and 85 lofts in different weeks you have to say the feed is good quality. The only thing we add is hemp and barley.

I have similar issues with Excello ... bags weighing less than 50lbs, just got 10 bags of Omega shipped directly from Excello with dates stamps from April and dates stamps for August, and the April bags are full of bugs and dust !!!
Additionally, in the previous month's order we got 4 pallets (50 bags each) - hidden in the middle of one pallet were several bags of the older date codes, while on the exterior were current date codes...... I guess nothing goes to waste in this economy - but this has to be unethical crap !!

So it is easy for them to package up some 6 month old safflower with other fresh grains to give the illusion of fresh grain all around.

Feed prices should also be coming down with lower demand for grain, and lower trucking costs..... but the prices are not being passed on to the end-consumer.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I don't think the older bags are a problem, I was told that the grain has to be aged anyways before being used, so was I given bad information concerning aged or seasoned feed!?:(

G

·
I don't think the older bags are a problem, I was told that the grain has to be aged anyways before being used, so was I given bad information concerning aged or seasoned feed!?:(
aged feed isnt bad as long as it doesnt come with bugs ..I think it all comes down to how the feed stores store their food .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts