Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since late 2011 I started to get more interested in food and where it comes from and how its grown. I became a fan of organic/sustainable food. Unfortunately I haven't gone total organic yet. Another hobby of mine is beekeeping, pesticides and such have become a concern and an issue in the hobby and the way it affects bees (Colony Collapse Disorder).

I was wondering if anyone has any incite or opinions on the possibility of GMO and petroleum based pesticide raised seeds that might make up pigeon feed? Could this lower the resistance or cause disease issues that weren't around "back in the day"? Would having an organic/sustainable feed increase the health of the birds? Most people over look these things about our food but its what fuels our bodies. I think humans are affected never mind pigeons.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
if humans can be affected then I suppose pigeons can also, I just don't know what that would be. I try to get the soft berrys and fruit for myself organic because it is said those hold and aborb more poisens if used. hard seeds grains and legumes may not absorb as much of those toxins though as they have a hard barrier, but I really don't know for sure. there are sites online to buy bulk seeds for the birds that are organic.. but it would be expensive I would think.

·
Registered
467 Posts
We all gotta die someday guess we just try & pick our way but not the time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We all gotta die someday guess we just try & pick our way but not the time.
Im not sure of the relevance and meaning of your post but to me if you dont care what you put into your body for fuel what do you really care about? I wasn't saying we need to eat/feed A and B but rather chemical/GMO free food that in dense in nutrients. Funny you say pick our way but I don't hear about many people that are ok with getting cancer because they choose to smoke. People wait till there are issues to care. People are blinded by convenience and the present to think about the future.

I was trying to relate these things to pigeon feed and if anyone has an opinion about it.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Im not sure of the relevance and meaning of your post but to me if you dont care what you put into your body for fuel what do you really care about? I wasn't saying we need to eat/feed A and B but rather chemical/GMO free food that in dense in nutrients. Funny you say pick our way but I don't hear about many people that are ok with getting cancer because they choose to smoke. People wait till there are issues to care. People are blinded by convenience and the present to think about the future.

I was trying to relate these things to pigeon feed and if anyone has an opinion about it.
there are organic sources of grains seeds and legumes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts