Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a pigeon Rudy, who still has residual symptoms of PMV, and hence cannot fly. Since last 3 months, she is in our balcony which is closed by windows. On the other side of the windows, a pigeon pair have made their nest on the window sill, and she spends all her time watching them.
I have named the outside pigeons Jaico(male) and Rani (female). I noticed that Jaico was making desperate cooing sounds at Rudy, and she was returning them. The cooing was so persistent that one day, I kept one of the windows open so that the outside pigeons could come in. Once they were both inside, I closed the window and put Rudy with them to see if they would get along.

The problem is: Rudy liked Jaico, allowed him to mount on her. But she was pecking the female Rani with such ferociousness I couldn't bear it. So I let the pair out again, because I didn't want Rudy to create any marital discord between the two.
So I am back feeling sorry for Rudy once again. Is there any way to prevent the females from fighting? Who do they fight in the first place? I thought it is the males that fight.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for your care and concern for rudy.

It is usually the males that fight, but given the circumstances females do fight on occasion, when territory is involved, and also when they protect their young. They may also fight for the attention of males when there aren't other males around.

I would not recommend you expose Rudy to birds from the outside, as any new birds should be isolated for a period of time, just to make sure they are not sick. If you are looking for a friend for rudy, perhaps you can find a domestic friend from someone who has pigeons.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If they are a mated pair, then why allow the male to mate with your bird? That doesn't make any sense to me. She is an intruder to the pair. Of course they would fight. If she had eggs, you would just have to remove them anyway, as she can't raise babies by herself. As was mentioned, if you don't think she is happy alone, then why not get her a friend of her own. As was also mentioned, outside birds could be carrying something that could be passed on to your bird.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I just wrote the post in order to get some clarity on what I really want.

Yes I was also feeling that since they are a mated pair, it wouldn't be fair for Rudy to be an intruder. But I was also silently hoping the 3 would get along well, and maybe share the male between the two (really wishful thinking)..

I am aware about the risk of disease being spread to Rudy, which is why I kept her isolated till now.
Unfortunately, my apartment's rules clearly state - no birds, no animals, no pets. I informed the association that since my bird is unreleasable, I cannot help but take care of it.
So buying a mate might be difficult. If I buy one, I have to keep him enclosed along with Rudy, and he can't be allowed to be free. My neighbors consider pigeons as pests.

Anyway thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Hello. Your intentions are good, although you discovered the 3 together was a mistake.

If Rudy is unreleasable, then your choice is to either keep your friend as a companion single bird, or one day rescue another Pigeon in need and have the two of them kept together. There is not much of a third alternative. If housing a second Pigeon is going to cause major problems with neighbors or building owner, then that is something to weigh and consider too.

Thanks for your kindness.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Jaye. Long time since I saw you here in PT. If you remember, you gave me immense support in helping save Rudy from the PMV.

A lot has changed since then, the latest being that I discovered Rudy is no longer a 'he'.

Yes I think another un-releasable pigeon would be a fit companion. Hope I will get one soon.
Thanks for all help. And good to see you back!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts