Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had saved an injure pigeon I found and when I took the pigeon home so I can care for her so she can heal before I release her back, I noticed the skin and fleshy looking is exposed out of her whole chest area and some of her legs too.

Does anyone know what can cause this and how can I heal it with herbs for naturally healing.
Right now I'm using coconut oil and turmeric

Thanks in advanced for your help

UPDATE: sorry for the late reply of uploading the image. I just find out your replies since I didn't know how to check my messages.

UPDATE 2: The pigeon couldn't fly when I first rescue her and she still can't fly now.
By the way I feed her apple cider vinegar mix with raw honey and water and I bath her with apple cider vinegar mix with water. Is it OK?

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Please post a picture so we can get a better idea of the injury. Thank you for taking her in, we will do our best to help once we have a bit more info. Neosporin is a great healing agent if there are no large open wounds. Make sure you are feeding her a diet for pigeons, I feed Kaytee supreme pigeon and dove seed.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
They haven't been back since the 23rd.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi thanks for replying. i Just upload a brighter picture of my pigeon.
Please check it out. I really appreciate your concern.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Can't tell if just feathers are missing or if the skin is an open wound. Can anyone tell and suggest how to help this poor bird?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Why are you putting oil on the bird? You are just making the feathers a mess, and causing them to separate. Please don't put oil on the bird. They do have a bald patch to sit on eggs and babies. It's called a brood patch. Helps to keep the eggs and babies warm. You are making it appear more with all the oil.
Also, if you add to this thread, please add it as a new comment, rather than going back to your original comment, as it is making the thread more complicated. You have added the pics a week later, but for someone coming in and reading this, it isn't going to make any sense, as we are all asking for pictures, which are now there.
BTW, the bird is way thin.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Beside stopping puting oil on bird (it will need to change the feathers to get rid of it), you shopuld stop giving honey, as will cause candida. In fact, candida may already having started to fill her crop so you should give her water with 7% acv, in order to clear the candida. Give such a solution three times a day, each time around 7 ml.

As for why the bird has a bald chest and belly: possibly because the feathers were destroyed by parasitsprobably because she stays on them. It is also possible to have been someone's bird, who bandged her and when pulled the bandage out, feathers remained with the bandage. I have a bird that stays all the time on bellybecause the legs are paralysed and the feathers on chest are gone as well.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I agree the bird doesn't need the honey.
As far as the oil, I don't believe you will be able to get it off, as coconut oil doesn't remove easily. He can't be released until the oil is either completely out, or he has molted new feathers, as they will not protect him or keep him warm with oil all through them.
Before doing anything like this to a bird, it would really be better to check with someone who knows first. We really can do more harm than good if we don't know.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
As far as the oil, I don't believe you will be able to get it off, as coconut oil doesn't remove easily. He can't be released until the oil is either completely out, or he has molted new feathers, as they will not protect him or keep him warm with oil all through them.
Before doing anything like this to a bird, it would really be better to check with someone who knows first. We really can do more harm than good if we don't know.
THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank You all

I would liked to thanks all of you for being so helpful and responding to my pigeon skin problems.
So far the pigeon is getting better but still can't fly yet only a little bit
I'm still doing my best to help the pigeon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts