Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
Actually for the past 3 weeks i have noticed pigeon flies on my pigeon's body and wings. He has got damn irritated with it. Today he even killed it with his own beak and nails. He took it out of his body and killed it. He was damn pissed and irritated. But even now i can find him scratching all over his body but i still cant find any fly inside. Can u just tell me that even though the fly has come out of his body .. will the bites given by the fly all over his Body be still itchy and irritating? Or there are still more flies in his body ??😕

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that your pijie has pigeon flies....everyone's favorite :rolleyes:

It's hard to say if your bird is responding to bites already given or there is another on the bird. Usually there are more than the ones on the bird itself because they live in the roosting/living area of the pigeon as opposed to only on the pigeon itself. They are a health risk for the bird (not to alarm you) so they need to be dealt with.

The loft/living area needs to be cleaned out and treated with any of the following:

Pyrethrins (usually from the Chrysanthemum)

Permethrin (synthetic pyrethrin, considered by some to be more stable)

Carbaryl ( sold under name of Sevin )

All of these products were recommended to me by a well know Avian Vet for blood sucking feather parasites.

Additionally, the birds should be treated topically for the blood sucking flies with one of the products. Afterwards, they should be treated with Ivermectin or Moxidectin so that in the event that a pigeon fly gets through the first line of defense and gets a meal of blood it will die before being ablle to lay more eggs and populate the loft with more flies. Among other things, the flies can transmit Pox and PMV to the pigeons that they bite.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am.going to have him checked by vet. I just hope these medicines are available here. I am also in search of sprays which can kill these flies and take them out . In pigeon talk i saw post of pigeon flies in which one of them told to mince garlic and put it in 1 gallon of water and it should be given for bathing to pigeon. It will remove the flies as well as they wont come and sit inside him.because of the smell of garlic. Is it true ? Can i try that out? Garlic is not harmful for my pigeon's eyes or nostrils ?

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
I am.going to have him checked by vet. I just hope these medicines are available here. I am also in search of sprays which can kill these flies and take them out . In pigeon talk i saw post of pigeon flies in which one of them told to mince garlic and put it in 1 gallon of water and it should be given for bathing to pigeon. It will remove the flies as well as they wont come and sit inside him.because of the smell of garlic. Is it true ? Can i try that out? Garlic is not harmful for my pigeon's eyes or nostrils ?
The products I listed aren't medicine, they are sprays for feather parasites. They are recommended regularly by avian vets because without a first line of defense to deter blood sucking insects, your birds can contract an illness through the bite of the insect.

The two I mentioned at the end are pretty common worming agents with a good safety margin.

You should cover the eyes and nares when applying so that your bird
doesn't get anything in them, it would be irritating.

The Pyrethrins (usually from the Chrysanthemum) are organic and will be effective for about 10-14 days.

Yes, if you would like to use minced garlic in water, give it a whirl. I don't have experience with it, but tend to think it would deter as opposed to kill the flies. They are incredibly tough little buggers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have minced the garlic and put it in 1 gallon of water. For how many hours should i soak it in water ?? I m sure he will feel relieved after having a garlic bath as i have read about it on net. Its effective. I just wanna know for how many hours should i soak the minced garluc in water ?

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
I have minced the garlic and put it in 1 gallon of water. For how many hours should i soak it in water ?? I m sure he will feel relieved after having a garlic bath as i have read about it on net. Its effective. I just wanna know for how many hours should i soak the minced garluc in water ?
If it were being given as an oral treatment the garlic would be placed in water over night and then given to birds to drink. Overnight is enough to 'draw' out the medicinal properties of garlic.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Is essential to crush the garlic. Without crushing, the allicin is not released. And the chrushed garlic must be consummed immediately, it order to preserve the beneficial capacity:

The green, dry "folds" in the center of the garlic clove are especially pungent. The sulfur compound allicin, produced by crushing or chewing fresh garlic, produces other sulfur compounds: ajoene, allyl polysulfides, and vinyldithiins.[1] Aged garlic lacks allicin, but may have some activity due to the presence of S-allylcysteine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Yup, so am I, cutie pie. Andrei is correct, if you research Allicin and fresh garlic, all the studies I read said that in order to get the antibiotic and anti-fungal benefits of allicin it must be crushed and used immediately. If pharmaceutical grade I believe the allicin to be stabilized.

However, there are folks that swear by putting it in water (diced/sliced, etc.) and letting stand in fridge overnight. There are claims of enhanced health as a result. In the absence of scientific data for how it is' prepped', this would be noted as anecdotal and anecdotal information in general, is included in the formulary for Clinical Avian Medincine for both medicine and natural supplements.

However, again, all I can find on garlic for pest control is that of a deterrent which means the fly will or might leave because it doesn't like the garlic. I don't think it will kill the pigeon fly. They are like the Timex watch of the insect world. Scroll down to the middle of the link below and you will see what it has to say about garlic and insects:

http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-tree-as-insect-repellent.html

This website says to make a slurry in the blender and that it will kill small plant type insects and deter others:

http://pestcontroloptions.com/insect-control/garlic-spray-recipe

I simply can't find a firm yes it will kill hard to deal with flies, only deterrence. This is why I thought the mainstream insect control products would be better because of the certainty. Each of those listed products were recommended by an avian vet, btw.

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
If you use it the very next day for bathes or spraying feathers it is probably fine. The refridgeration is for serving as drinking water the following day after drawing out the garlic 'properties' into the drinking water.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My pigeon is acting very aggressive . She is biting me alot. And she is very irritated. She is searching for twigs . She never gave eggs before As she never mates with any one. She stays away from all pigeons. She is very angry . I don't know why she is acting like this. She is 1 year 9 months old.

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
My pigeon is acting very aggressive . She is biting me alot. And she is very irritated. She is searching for twigs . She never gave eggs before As she never mates with any one. She stays away from all pigeons. She is very angry . I don't know why she is acting like this. She is 1 year 9 months old.
Couple of things...I've never used garlic as an insect deterrent, but it is very pungent and this could be bothering your hen. I do know when they are upset with their humans, they sure know how to communicate it to them.:eek: Maybe keep your eyes peeled for a Pyrethrin based feather spray (again...a natural product derived from Chrysanthemum flower).

Site bonding in pigeon pets is fairly common, perhaps your hen is nest building for you? If so, make sure you have liquid calcium on hand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.