Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What lies above the bones in a pigeon's toe? Could it be the muscles responsible for opening/straightening the toe, with their counterparts (muscles that curl the toe) passing under the bones?

I'm really worried about the toe that Merlin has had in a splint for two weeks now. I change the splint every 3rd day and I see no sign of his being able to straighten that toe by himself. He will initially stand properly, but as soon as he raises his leg and puts it down again, he stands on the curled-up second toe, in danger of injuring his foot pad with his own claw.
I thought at first the toe was broken, but I'm wondering whether a crucial muscle has been severed, as the string cut deep into the top of his toe -- and, if so, will it mend yet? He's desperate to be free but I can't release him like this.

·
Registered
499 Posts
rehab,and your good care is all you can do ,the toe will heal probably without the splint,-you be the judge-ok,but that well intended approach actually restricts the movement of tendons,etc.,requiring more time and therapy,...observation-of useage of feet,legs,body- like your doing is excellent work,.if you think he is in pain you can give some baby asprin,..sincerely james waller [email protected]

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks, James! I was very relieved to hear that the toe will heal, so perhaps I don't need to mother him quite so much... :) I was just worried that at some point I'd have to take him to the vet to get that toe amputated so that he could stand -- and that is something I really wanted to avoid as he's been through so much already!

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Watch your own forearm as you curl your fingertips towards the palm of your hand, and then the backside of your forearm as you straighten those same fingers. The muscles for a pigeon's toes are primarily above the joint that you see about 3/4" above the spread of the actual toes, so they're way up there. Yes, a tendon on the top side of the toe in question has likely been severed or otherwise impaired. Not sure what's going to be the best road to take here...

Pidgey

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
If worse comes to worse, Teresa, we have heard of pigeons getting around on just "stumps!" Their will to survive is incredible!

My Gimie can fly but on the ground, hops on one foot with some assist from the other as a crutch. Her one leg was badly broken and healed worse. Half her leg is bent and under her. May be keeping her for having fertile eggs...not sure.

Sure hope Merlin can keep his toe(s). Will sure be watching for positive updates!

Sending loving healing thoughts with hugs and scritches :D

Shi/Squeaks/Dom/Gimie/Woe :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts