Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, found a young pigeon behind my apts. looks like it was attacked by an animal I'm guessing. Head was scabbed over, one eye also scabbed, huddled by wall. I came back down after an hour, with a box and took him upstairs as it was a very hot day. After reading some posts here, I have a little heater (sock w rice), have given it water, seems more alert. Tried to feed him some corn, but won't eat yet. Do notice possible mites. Local vets won't treat any birds. Any advice? He seems like he is responding to time out of the heat and some care, but I have no experience with birds. He has started flapping wings and stretching. Head is the worst part that I can see. Dabbed on some Neosporin. It was not an open wound but looks like skull may be slightly exposed, but scabbed over and possibly healing.
Any local recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Sure, could you post a pic so we have an idea of age of bird. Put some wild bird seed or pigeon or dove feed out and a small bowl of warm sugar water. If he is too young and not eating on his own, you will have to feed a few times a day manually minimally. I think if you search this site, there are some links to either hand feed or how to feed a pigeon that wont eat, I think one of mine may still be on youtube as well. The fav here is to feed thawed warmed frozen peas and corn right into the back of the beak one at a time. About 30 per feeding altogether. If he spits them out, you are not putting far enough back in the mouth. Its rather easy. Is there any way a moderator can make a sticky or a permanent feeding thread so we are not repeating ourselves every single day with the same Q&A. Something a newbie can find instantly so when we are not on the same time zone or page that they can find that easily and quickly? Im sure many of us could contribute different short videos of how to feed at different life stages.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Leg banded or not?

Water is alright to give seeing as how hot it has been here. I just wouldn't leave it in there with the bird because it's likely he'd tip it over.

Neosporin is helpful at keeping his would moist for healing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No leg band whatsoever. I'll try to post a pic. Hoping tomorrow he or she will be a bit stronger. already seems better than when I first found it:) I hope! Thank you for the responses!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much! I will post a pic soon. I've held it a couple times and it seems to be comfortable and not wanting to go back in the box. I have paper Easter grass in there with a cloth. Newspaper and cloth lining bottom and box is well ventilated. I am concerned about the mites or lice, but no way wanted to stress it more today by attempting any delousing.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The mites and lice are generally species specific. They may crawl on you but will think you smell or look funny =) but still they are gross.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great, thanks so much. That's the problem now. He won't eat. I'll try taking him out of the box as I've read that they may not eat/drink in there, but I think it may come down to getting creative--I'll look up the vids. I know he really should eat today...I do have wild bird seed and have tried the corn, but no luck so far. I'll keep trying!
Thanks!☺

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, I have Amoxicillan 500 Mg capsules here at home. Should I be trying to give that to him? In a smaller dose? He does have a head injury but it was already healing when I found him. I'll have to post a picture so you guys can better see.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Photo of the bird

:) is he only a couple weeks? I will get a better shot of him outside of the box soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
He got scapled, actually that heals pretty well and fast once cleaned and antibiotic ointment put on. He does need to eat, I would be feeding kaytee hand feeding formula, but if that is too hard for you you can feed defrosted peas, start slow and give say 15 see how his crop is emptying , if it does then up the peas to about 30 3 times a day at this point. They have moisture so you don't have to worry about hydrating. I would not keep him on heat at this time, he has enough feathers and he is stable.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
He is about 3.5 weeks old, scalped by another pigeon and out of the nest prematurely. He needs to be hand fed either peas and corn frozen thawed and warm not cooked one at a time about 30 or 40 per feeding 3 times a day. If you send me your email, I can send u various ways to feed, as this stage you also have the option to pour handfuls of seed into his mouth and dip beak in water for chaser. Really easy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh also of concern are the mites or lice. They're crawling mostly on his head and unde wings...near his body. I didn't think it best to spray or bathe right at this juncture. Not sure what to do here...thanks! Sorry, I a really am a newbie and trying to read anything I can before posting a repetitive question.:/

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
You sure can treat if you want, if it is just the lice long skinny very thin greyish white, I wouldnt worry but if RED mite, get them gone. They suck the blood right out of them like a flea on a dog. As long as he is eating and resting and give him a good week to recover and gain strength and rest, then give him a dip with either soapy water or get a spray from pet store and follow instructions. Not the end of the world right now. ;) You might consider giving him and electrolyte water from drug store for a week called pedialyte or the no name brand, that will get him going, give him a head start. If he is not stressed and is feeding well, he should not develop canker and may do very well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think they are the red mites. Very teeny, crawling...when squashed there's blood...they're gross. What do I use? Don't want to be too harsh.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He's giving me a lot of trouble--not eating. Tried several different things. The crop. It's covered by feathers? I just feel for a bulge? I'm lost, but can look up bird biology to get more of a grasp on things...

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I think they are the red mites. Very teeny, crawling...when squashed there's blood...they're gross. What do I use? Don't want to be too harsh.

If they are red mites you need to get rid of them asap, they will weaken the bird, you will also at the same time have to completely change whatever you are housing him in, toss it outside, or get rid of it or boil it, wash all bedding and use completely new stuff, bowls food everything. Toss out all seed in bowl and water cuz those mites only go on the bird to feed then they leave the bird to crawl into cracks and crevices and feed and are like little vampires and hide from the light. So, find a spray at the pet store for caged birds that kills mites and redo all as stated above at the same time or they will simply crawl back onto the bird and you have done all that work for nothing.

You could probably get one of those vapona no pest strips but they are called something else now, cut open pack, cut off 1/4 of the yellow brick, stick it in a sock and place it in the box or nest or carrier or cage or whatever u keep the bird in, if too strong a smell cut an even smaller piece and put it in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Baby pigeon update!

Hi all, just wanted to thank everyone especially my dear CBL for being at my beckon call when I have any questions. Pigeon is now eating, staying warm and resting to recoup from his injuries. He's so much more alert and we're getting more comfortable with one another. I love him!! I will bathe him tomorrow, to clean him up a bit.
Thanks all so much. Much Appreciated!
Xoxo
J

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts