Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
29,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved this post here, as it was added onto an old post.

hockeygirl
Squab Join Date: Jun 2009

I found a pigeon with what looks like a broken leg or legs and missing feathers on one wing.
I named him or her "Em"
Other than not being able to walk or fly, Em is eating birdseed and drinking water.
I put birdie in a nice cage with a fluffy soft towel in a secluded quiet and warm place where the cats can't get at him or her.
I am taking Em to the vet to see what exactly is wrong and to see if the leg and wing can be set.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Diane

· Registered
13,150 Posts
Dianne offering the bird supportive care is the best thing to do until you can get the bird to a vet that treats birds. This needs to be done ASAP. My advise would be to ask lots of questions as some vets may be inclined to suggest you have the bird euthanized. I'm asking you to please give the bird a chance.
Where are you located in case we know of a pigeon friendly vet we can refer you to?

· Registered
774 Posts
Ditto to Charis...wings and legs can be set...if that is all that is wrong, please do no let the bird be put down.:eek: I followed the directions on this site and have successfully set several broken legs and wings...those birds are alive and well today! Some vets are not very bird friendly and try to take the easy way out...hopefully your vet is not one of them. Thanks for your care of this little creature. :)

· Registered
7,519 Posts
I moved this post here, as it was added onto an old post.

hockeygirl
Squab Join Date: Jun 2009

I found a pigeon with what looks like a broken leg or legs and missing feathers on one wing.
I named him or her "Em"
Other than not being able to walk or fly, Em is eating birdseed and drinking water.
I put birdie in a nice cage with a fluffy soft towel in a secluded quiet and warm place where the cats can't get at him or her.
I am taking Em to the vet to see what exactly is wrong and to see if the leg and wing can be set.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Diane
Thanks, Jay

Cindy

· Registered
2 Posts
I took Em to several vets today who all referred me to Toronto Wildlife.
All they would do is kill her, so I am looking online for help.
The only place I could take her was fully booked until Tuesday, but would schedule and "emergency" visit for double the fee.
I've decided that Em is a girl - for now. :)
Her foot is much better today and she continues to eat, drink and poop. Her eyes are clear and she is not blinking, so I don't think she's been poisoned.
She is missing the feathers on the underside of her wing.
Doesn't look like she's been hit by a car, or that she is sick.
I am keeping her in a cage in the bathroom, where is quiet and warm.
She was flapping her wings today, but didn't peck at me when I had a look at her.
I heard her cooing today.
Lovely sound.
:)

· Registered
29,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't have an avian vet around there that sees pigeons? A pigeon friendly vet wouldn't tell you to take her somewhere else where she would be killed.

· Registered
774 Posts
Can you see where a leg might be broken? Bent the wrong way?

And when she flapped her wings was there any obvious mis-alignment or bend where it looks like it should not be?

Leg breaks are set by taping the leg to a match stick or other splint. Wings are wrapped against the body in a natural position. Broken bones heal in about two weeks.

If you can post pics of the injured places or describe them we might be able to walk you thru the treatment.

Sounds like she is otherwise strong and healthy... thanks to you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.