Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Location- San Juan Capistrano, Ca
Current status- Secured
Right as I was leaving work these people pointed out a pigeon just laying on the ground. I jumped the fence with my jacket and tried to pick it up. The pigeon wobbled away with one wing flopped on the side of him. I grabbed some gloves put him in my jacket and a good enough sized box to take him home in. I haven't given him food or water.
I have a canary and two love birds so I have their food and two extra cages and some food bowls but I don't know how to care for this pigeon. I will appreciate any advice and do the best I can once I have the information needed to care for this birdie.
Should I be concerned about the proximity of this pigeon to my birds or is it okay? I'm sorry if I am very uneducated but I want to learn. Thanks again

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Thanks for helping the poor thing. Sounds like a broken wing. I wouldn't worry too much about your other birds, as long as they are not right next to each other and are not sharing food or water. And good hand washing as with any wild animal. Before offering food, the bird needs to be warm and re-hydrated. In a cup of tepid water, add a pinch of sugar and a pinch or salt and mix. Try to get him to drink some. I would do this for a few hours before feeding. Canary seed is tiny, and love bird probably is also. Can you get some wild bird food or a dove mix maybe? Things can be added to it to improve it, but for now it'll be fine.

Have you checked him over for other injuries? If he was caught by a cat or other predator, then he should be started on antibiotics. A vet who sees birds would be of help with assessing the wing, and wrapping it. An x-ray would also show just where it is broken. Have you put him in a cage?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If you have a bird lice and mite spray, which I am thinking you do if you have birds, You could give him a few spritses, under the wings and tail and back and tummy. Just not in his face.
Can you feel the 2 wings and try to compare them to see if you can tell where the break is?
Possible to post a picture of him?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to make that mixture at the moment and give it to him. I will be going to go buy some gauze to wrap his wing momentarily and I'll check him out in the meantime. He is not in the cage should I line it with bedding or paper towels?
And thank you for the help by the way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've made the mixture but how do I get him to drink it? His beak is barely touching the water and he isn't doing anything. His breathing is very shallow. No other inguries indicated on him

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If gently dipping the beak into the water, but not over the nostrils isn't working, then if you have a syringe or eye dropper, you can try to dribble some on the side of his beak. He may suck it in.

I usually use newspaper for the cage bottom, and cover that with paper towels, as it is easier to check the birds droppings on the paper. Then you can just change out the paper towels. Eventually you will have to change the newspaper too, but not every time.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
After he Is ating and drinking and warm and safe, then you can address his wing. There are people here who can suggest rx for his wing. Our beloved Phoebe had a broken wing and was nearly decapitated by a fan but the vet sewed her up and she was a family member for eight years. Thank you so much for helping him!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts