·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Tell us about the pigeon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pigeon I am careing for has a balance problem , not eating so I mix up some wet dog food with some pedialyte, I have to force this down the bird, eyes are clear and poop is round and hard. So now what should I do ? I call around and because its a piegon no one wants to talk and help me, I live in Melbourne Florida

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
The pigeon I am careing for has a balance problem , not eating so I mix up some wet dog food with some pedialyte, I have to force this down the bird, eyes are clear and poop is round and hard. So now what should I do ? I call around and because its a piegon no one wants to talk and help me, I live in Melbourne Florida
Is this a feral pigeon? It doesn't have bands on it's leg does it? Can you post a picture?
Kind of strange for a bird that is not eating to have round, hard poops. How long have you had the bird?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pigeon is a run of the mill bird, you would find in any backyard, I have this bird in a box and been feeding it soft dog food, this bird has a balance problem, not able to stand up , I put this bird back out in the yard and had alot of pigeons that want to mate her, so back into the box it want, please help me decide what I should do

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Hi Coco... thank you so much for taking this bird in... clearly he or she needs you're help. Please keep him inside in the box for now. I'm running out but someone will be along shortly with better advice. With the balance problem it probably can't defend itself in the open. If you can get some wild bird seed for it that would be good too, but the soft dog food & pedilyte is a good start - especially since the poor bird was probably dehydrated. Have you also tried giving it some water -- in a dish an inch or so deep would do well. Pigeons sip water kind of like we use a straw - so the deep dish helps.

I'll check back in later - but I'm sure others will be along - just wanted to catch you while you were online. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
sounds like the balance problem could be a virus or bacterial infection. I rescued one like that, treated her with TLC, kept her warm, fed and hydrated, she recovered.

she will need to be cared for until she can fly/walk again. sounds like you are helping her out!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of food to I feed her other then dog food? I try to give her wild bird seed she will not eat this, I have to hand feed her a few drops at a time . Please tell me if there is any thing else I can do for her.

I want to thank everyone for their support.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You can feed defrosted corn and peas and put individually pieces at the back of her throat...it must be the back or she will spit them out. Feed 25-40 pieces at a time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for telling me about the peas I was able too put down about 5 peas, going to store to buy some marvel aid for birds, I hope this will bring her around.

Thank You

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I have sent an email to our member, Reti in hope that you two can talk and she can offer suggestions as to how to proceed. Probably the bird needs antibiotics and she may be able to direct you in the right direction as to where to find some in your state.
You can also send her a provate message from this site. Her name is Reti.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
You can call me at 305-374-3525.

Reti

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I am in Palm Bay if you want to drop the bird off with me I can take care of it. It really needs seeds or some pellets. Dog food actually isn't all that bad but if your shoving it down the hatch it may need some meds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank You<p> I will call you Sat. if thats ok.
What I did was soak some peas in
marvel aid this is a broad spectrum antibiotic drinking solution, today was the first time this bird move around and made a sound, I feel so sorry for her, she seems to know me now and knows its time to eat and drink, she still is not able to get her balance, but looks little better, its been 3 days since I found her overall the bird is ok just her balance is off.

I want to say thank you to everyone one who is helping me. I know its a wild bird but its a life and if I can help this bird get better and fly away

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank You, if you can help this bird, my phone number is 321-480-8651, if you can take a look at her to let me know if she will be ok or I can leave her with you.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Is the bird banded at all and are you sure it is a pigeon? The other birds trying to mate with it sounds odd to me. Anyways your more than welcome to keep the bird but you can bring it to me if needed. A worming would help as well. Birds with real bad worms will lose weight and coordination.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Grim is quite close to you and has great experience with pigeons. Maybe you can take up his offer and let him take a look at the bird.

Reti

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The bird should be with me sometime this afternoon. I will post some pics and stats and we will go from there, cocoaljo said she is not twisting the neck which is a good sign.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Ok so here she is. No visible wounds that I can find. Alert with a clean mouth. I wormed her and gave her some garlic. I am about to spray her for lice she has some feather lice. Her crop is full of liquid but I don't feel any solids. I have her propped up on an angle so she can digest properly. If left alone she will flop on her side and pushes forward and stiffens her legs like her head is heavy.

Here she is resting indoors

1 - 20 of 42 Posts