Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 37 years of life, I have never crossed paths with a pigeon. I live in Houston, TX and I thought they were only around downtown because that is the only place I have seen them in this city. Yesterday, I had just walked off of my porch into the grass, and across my yard, I have a large tree where all of a sudden I noticed a shuffling behind it and this bird slowly flys towards me and lands on the roof of my house right above me. I saw it was trying to get down and would move its neck as if it was about to swoop down, but it seemed nervous or something. I threw pieces of bread on the roof and it ate them. Some would roll off the roof and it would notice it but would not walk towards them because they were falling.
I went in and came out a few hours later when it was starting to get dark and I saw it was in the grass. I put a small pan of water out and put some bread in a dish and then it walked towards them and ate and drank.

Today, I thought it would be gone, but it was sitting on my porch light that is right next to my door. I brought out a cutting board and put some bread on it to feed it up there, and it walked onto the cutting board and stood there... I was seriously like what? loll So I brought it down to the ground where the water is and it walked off the cutting board to drink. What I found really interesting is when I went to go inside, as I opened the door it came close to the opening as if it recognized something and it stood there like it was waiting for me to say come in or something. I wonder if it felt the AC and the dry breeze from inside when I opened the door and it remembered that feeling.
As I write this, it continues to sit on my porch light. It looks as if it is taken a liking to that spot. It is nice and warm there. I have a roof over my porch so the sun is not beaming down on it.

Sorry for the novel, I am just rather stoked I have found a new buddy. I would really like to help it out. I will probably be taking it to a shelter soon. I would love to keep it, but I really hope it isn't sick or anything.

What are yall's suggestions? Could it be sick or hurt? Or maybe it is domesticated and was let go by its owner? It has let me feed it from my hand. Not the palm of my hand, but it will eat the piece of bread I am holding.

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Does the bird have a leg band?

Would you post a picture of the bird and at least one of its droppings if possible? That will help to determine whether the bird is ill.

Their normal diet is predominantly (dry, raw) grains and seeds, with a few leaves or veggies, and the occasional insect, Bread isn't very nutritious, better options would be rice, oats, peas, lentils, popcorn kernels, sunflower kernels out-of-the-shell, and so on.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Try to lure him inside your home with seeds (not bread). He is trying to self rescue. Probably not sick, just starving.

Don't take him to a rescue centre. They might just euthanize him as they don't have the space and finances to do longterm care.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Textile Dress Rectangle Sleeve Body jewelry
Here is a picture of its droppings. I took the puppy pad outside to take a better picture. It is inside now. It does not have a band on its leg either. It took a liking to my pull up bar and so I put a puppy pad underneath and i cut a box for him to fly down to get his seeds and water.

Thank ya'll for the help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After 4 days or so, Steve (i think it is a male) it is already pretty comfortable. It likes to give me soft taps and then it starts pecking lol This animal caught me by surprise. It is highly intelligent and it obeys commands! I am blown away. I am hoping to take it to an avian veterinary as soon as I can get the funds. Thak yall for the information!
Bird Wood Comfort Flooring Thigh
Gesture Wood Cap Wing Feather

·
Registered
5 Posts
In my 37 years of life, I have never crossed paths with a pigeon. I live in Houston, TX and I thought they were only around downtown because that is the only place I have seen them in this city. Yesterday, I had just walked off of my porch into the grass, and across my yard, I have a large tree where all of a sudden I noticed a shuffling behind it and this bird slowly flys towards me and lands on the roof of my house right above me. I saw it was trying to get down and would move its neck as if it was about to swoop down, but it seemed nervous or something. I threw pieces of bread on the roof and it ate them. Some would roll off the roof and it would notice it but would not walk towards them because they were falling.
I went in and came out a few hours later when it was starting to get dark and I saw it was in the grass. I put a small pan of water out and put some bread in a dish and then it walked towards them and ate and drank.

Today, I thought it would be gone, but it was sitting on my porch light that is right next to my door. I brought out a cutting board and put some bread on it to feed it up there, and it walked onto the cutting board and stood there... I was seriously like what? loll So I brought it down to the ground where the water is and it walked off the cutting board to drink. What I found really interesting is when I went to go inside, as I opened the door it came close to the opening as if it recognized something and it stood there like it was waiting for me to say come in or something. I wonder if it felt the AC and the dry breeze from inside when I opened the door and it remembered that feeling.
As I write this, it continues to sit on my porch light. It looks as if it is taken a liking to that spot. It is nice and warm there. I have a roof over my porch so the sun is not beaming down on it.

Sorry for the novel, I am just rather stoked I have found a new buddy. I would really like to help it out. I will probably be taking it to a shelter soon. I would love to keep it, but I really hope it isn't sick or anything.

What are yall's suggestions? Could it be sick or hurt? Or maybe it is domesticated and was let go by its owner? It has let me feed it from my hand. Not the palm of my hand, but it will eat the piece of bread I am holding.

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!!
Sounds like my pigeon Polly who visits me everyday for food and just to sit on my window , she keeps me company. Never flies to far away, and now knows my voice when I call her.
Best thing to have are some seeds (either bird seeds or seeds that are for humans to eat -pumpkin seeds, a little wholemeal bread, but not much as too much is bad for them, some unsalted nuts like cashew and walnuts seem to like those too). Looks like the pigeon has adopted you as its pet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds like my pigeon Polly who visits me everyday for food and just to sit on my window , she keeps me company. Never flies to far away, and now knows my voice when I call her.
Best thing to have are some seeds (either bird seeds or seeds that are for humans to eat -pumpkin seeds, a little wholemeal bread, but not much as too much is bad for them, some unsalted nuts like cashew and walnuts seem to like those too). Looks like the pigeon has adopted you as its pet.
Just my opinion: I think there is something somehow logical when a healthy wild/feral/semitamed pigeon decides to deeply connect with a human person. They are not doing with anybody. From what I red on this forum and my experience that pigeon will have some needs. 1. Food especially or bad weather looking for shelter. 2. They will asses the environment: no predators like cats and dogs and 3. the human person he or she should be single or available based on what they see that person doing daily so they know they have a chance to connect with us. Is this in their mind or in their genes beeing domesticated by humans for thousands of years? I do not know but I belive they do not choose people at random when they put their lives on the first line.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After 4 days or so, Steve (i think it is a male) it is already pretty comfortable. It likes to give me soft taps and then it starts pecking lol This animal caught me by surprise. It is highly intelligent and it obeys commands! I am blown away. I am hoping to take it to an avian veterinary as soon as I can get the funds. Thak yall for the information! View attachment 102162 View attachment 102163
Just curios how you and your pigeon are doing. If you do not mind can you share an update? Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts