Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is sort of a weird question, but i can only find topics about care.

i adopted a 12 week old cock two days ago, he was hand raised and handled frequently so he is quite tame, but reasonably anxious about being in a new place with someone he's never met.

my question is: how long have people waited for a pigeon to warm up to you or their new home?

he is being kept in a large dog crate which is where i put him at night to sleep, and is allowed to free roam the room during the afternoon and evening. however, he never takes food or water when he's outside the cage, maybe because he doesnt feel safe, and wont accept treats either (as im trying to reward him for doing things i want or perching in places i want).
he has accepted treats while inside the cage, just not out. i'm slightly worried that going so long without eating or drinking will be bad for him.

i know it's only been two days, which is hardly enough time for him to get used to a new home, but im wicked anxious thinking im an awful bird dad. maybe hearing others' experiences about their birds coming around to them could ease my worries.

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
I've never been in your situation. The only advice I can give will be to give him time to settle down in a new environment. Don't take him out of the cage, just leave the door open for him to come out by himself. Keep his food and water inside the cage.

They love chopped up raw unsalted peanuts, but in moderation as it has a high fat content. Put some on his food for him to get used to it. Then start placing some outside the cage, I'm sure he will come out to eat. Just do your usual household chores and don't fuss too much about him. Give him time to adapt. Let us know how he is doing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts