Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a bunch of non-releasable pigeons in my balcony. Rocky is one of them. I got her with a permanently damaged wing, so she cannot fly. Two years back she paired with Ranjo, our PMV survivor. She also laid eggs several times, and has been a happy and healthy pigeon.

Recently Ranjo left Rocky for another female, and I have been noticing that Rocky is not her usual bright self. I felt really sad that she lost her mate to someone else, and they are courting each other right in front of her. I also noticed that her damaged wing was hanging lower than usual.

It has been like 2 weeks since she has been looking dull. I normally don't touch the pigeons since they don't like it, but yesterday I decided to give Rocky a once-over. I was shocked that she has gone so light...and her breastbone was sticking out so bad. Yet she was struggling to free herself from my grip and I couldn't believe that she has gone down so quickly in just a few weeks.

I can't see any sign of canker inside the mouth, but the feathers around her eyes have gone somewhat, and she is more dirty around the beak area. I hand fed her yesterday night, and will be continuing for the next few weeks. And keeping her warm. Is there anything else I need to look out for? What could be the reason for her going light so fast...other than her mate leaving her?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I hope someone with more experience will come along and answer your question, I can only assume it's stress related at losing her partner but it could be that she's sick and her male knew this and that's why he found another mate.
What are her droppings like, I'd imagine they are very sparse if she's not eating. Maybe she could do with a calcium and vitD3 supplement to boost her up, as per instructions on the bottle. Calciboost, Calcivet or whatever you can purchase online where you are may help pick her up a bit. Taking her out of the situation with the other two birds is also a good idea until she regains some strength as it would continue to stress her out.

I'm glad she has you as a friend to look after her, I'd just keep hand feeding her and see if she picks up in time, if not she may have something going on elsewhere. Good luck with her, poor girl - what a rotten husband she had! :(

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That is why it is a bad idea to keep singles with pairs. They are always trying to break up the pairs.
If she is going light, then she isn't eating. She must have some health issue going on. Without a vet check and them testing the droppings for bacteria or whatever, hard to say what is wrong. Pics of her droppings, and pics of her might help. Is she drinking a lot? You need to bring her inside to figure these things out as it's too hard to know when there are others around.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I brought her inside and she is kept in a basket for now. The droppings are indeed scarce, but they are not smelly or odd-looking.
There is a discharge coming from one of her eyes, which might explain why her beak area is dirty. Other than standing hunched up with ruffled feathers, no other symptoms are apparent right now. No excessive drinking, no noisy breathing, no smelly droppings. I don't know her age.

I am hand feeding her, hopefully I will get more droppings tomorrow. I thought of bringing her husband inside too, but I'm not sure if he will take to her, so I dropped the idea..

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Could be canker, or something bacterial. She needs to be kept warm.
To cover most bases, if no vet then I would treat for canker with Metronidazole and bacterial with Baytril (Enrofloxacin). Baytril in the morning and Metro in the afternoon after feeding. It can make them vomit on an empty crop, so feed first.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Metro would be 50 mg for an adult, and 25 for a squab. For the Baytril, better if you can weigh the bird, as the dose would go by weight.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The pigeon has something going on with her eyes. I have been applying ayurvedic eye drops for a week now, but the infection is not receding. Will the eyes and the lack of interest in food be related? I cannot hear any wheezing.

What antibiotics can I use for the eye?

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Better to have a vet look at him. Could be caused by different things. Could be canker, Could be from Chlamydia. A vet could test and find out what is causing it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The pigeon was treated with a round of antibiotics for a week, and I also used ciplox eye drops which cleared the eye infection. The pigeon was slowly back to eating on her own when I noticed that both feet started to swell up real bad. Again, I took her to the vet who suggested gout. She was prescribed vitamin supplements and an ointment to reduce the swelling.
Right now, the leg swelling is much better but there is a bigger problem. There is a lump on her lower beak.

Please see the photo attached. When I open her beak,there is a whitish colour where the lump starts under her tongue. She is having difficulty swallowing.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Swollen feet make me think paratyphoid. Did you treat for canker? The eye and lump could both be explained by that. I’d find a vet to do a culture. It could all be caused by a bacterial infection.

E: my pigeon book says gout is caused by kidney failure. Is the vet pursuing that or was it a random guess? Other online sources say it can be caused by excess protein or certain vitamins. I don’t see how supplementing would help that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts