Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand pigeons need some greens in their diet but don't know just what or how to "serve" it. I have given them some lettuce scraps but they just throw it around and I don't see any indication that they actually eat any, do they expect dressing on their salad or what?:rolleyes:
Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
I'll post you a picture.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Pigeon's morning treat. .....mixed greens, defrosted corn, minced carrots, defrosted peas. I put the dish in a tray and put it on the floor. Mine mob it.:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I understand pigeons need some greens in their diet but don't know just what or how to "serve" it. I have given them some lettuce scraps but they just throw it around and I don't see any indication that they actually eat any, do they expect dressing on their salad or what?:rolleyes:
Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My birds throw around their spinach, but they DO actually eat it. Pigeons are individual in their taste while some will love it, others may not enjoy it as much.

Curley kale, endive, carrots, spinach, and more..

They will eat tulips and marygolds down to the stalk if you let them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Love your pic Charis - feel like hoeing in myself! Hadn't thought to give mine carrot - only done the spinach thing so far, so looks like a mixed plate treat coming up later today!

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Love your pic Charis - feel like hoeing in myself! Hadn't thought to give mine carrot - only done the spinach thing so far, so looks like a mixed plate treat coming up later today!
Cool! They love sprouts too.:D

·
Registered
331 Posts
I found with mine that they pick up the spinach and shake their heads to rip pieces of it off. It looks like they are just playing though.

S

·
0 Posts
You can spread greens around loose like this: Saturday Morning Greens

You can also hang greens like this: Hanging My Greens

Sometimes I stick some lettuce between 2 bricks so they can rip off small pieces. Or I'll use a clothes pin to clip the greens to cage wire. Don't feed any iceberg lettuce, it has no nutritional value. Dark leafy greens are full of vitamins and minerals.:)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Celery, spinach, lettuce, chicory, turnip greens, curly kale, carrots, sprouts are good.
Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage – should be avoided.
Wash them thoroughly before serving to pigeons.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Celery, spinach, lettuce, chicory, turnip greens, curly kale, carrots, sprouts are good.
Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage – should be avoided.
Wash them thoroughly before serving to pigeons.

I have two chickens, I give them broccoli by hanging it from a string so they can peck at it. They go NUTZ for it!

Is broccoli BAD for pigeons?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you can cut the greens with scissors to get it in pieces as they tend to eat it better that way in my experience.

S

·
0 Posts
I have two chickens, I give them broccoli by hanging it from a string so they can peck at it. They go NUTZ for it!

Is broccoli BAD for pigeons?
I haven't heard of broccoli being bad for birds. My pigeons eat it too. I think kale is in the broccoli family.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
My Pigeons just LOVE broccoli.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Broccolis are not bad as food and pigeons love them. They are difficult for digestion and that's why are not recommended. Broccoli stimulates interferon production and I was disappointed by “not being recommended”. Ended up using broccoli juice for my sick birds. ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hmm... Looks like I just found a new use for all the extra chard I've got growing in the garden that I never use. Thanks for the informative pics/ videos!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts