Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dear friends

can i feed pigeon grit to my pair of piji once in a week.. actually i don't have any pet store near by..also i cannot let them out as i keep them in my living room and when i go to office it's 7 am and i return by 7 pm...only sunday is available for me to take them to lawn below..so is it ok if i take them to lawn on every sunday to have whatever they want from the ground

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I wouldnt let them eat stuff off of the ground.
They can get sick that way.
I also would let them have access to grit 24/7 if possible.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi! Where do you live? Can you order pigeon grit online? I know the shipping would be outrageous but you gotta do what you gotta do, right. I have one pigeon and I couldn't find any grit nearby so I had to order 10 lbs. with shipping at like 15$! More then my whole purchase combined. haha. but thats part of the responsibility of having pets I guess.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for ur response dear friend. i live in a remote village in india and i can get it couriered from a city little far from my place... thanks anyhow...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I see. Well good luck sundar! :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Pigeon grit: can i feed them once in a week

Hi... I am not sure of what I am going to tell you, but this is just an idea which is better than no grit... you know they need that grit to digest their food... if you have available some kind of crushed sand... or something similar to grit.. hopefully you know what grit is.... if not... You can look it up on one of the supply stores on the internet which will give you the ingredients and maybe you can come up with something to give them.... I think something to use for grit is better than NO Grit... hope this helps.......if I were in your situation this is what I would try to do... Good Luck !!!:)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Hi... I am not sure of what I am going to tell you, but this is just an idea which is better than no grit... you know they need that grit to digest their food... if you have available some kind of crushed sand... or something similar to grit.. hopefully you know what grit is.... if not... You can look it up on one of the supply stores on the internet which will give you the ingredients and maybe you can come up with something to give them.... I think something to use for grit is better than NO Grit... hope this helps.......if I were in your situation this is what I would try to do... Good Luck !!!:)
Actually Shalimar, I have given them course sand if they are getting meds that they can't have calcium with. I figured the same thing. Better than no grit at all.:)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Sundar, The pigeon grit also contains calcium. Calcium is VERY important for your pigeons. Especially the hens. They can have a lot of problems if they don't get enough calcium. You would need to find a way to give them calcium. Egg shells contain it, and I have heard of people giving them ground up eggshell, but these should be boiled or cooked in some way I think in case of salmonella. Do you have a calcium source for them?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Great! Good luck with them. Let us know how they are doing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sure jay ... now only they have accepted each other surely tell u everything starting from their process of building the nest to getting new babies

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Looking forward to updates

1 - 14 of 14 Posts