Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just rescued a pigeon in sub freezing colds in a winter storm. It's survival rate would have been nothing if it was left outside. My mother usually brings a injured bird to the vet after a few days or if it dies in our house before it's too late. She says that they usually put them down if you bring them there, we've had this pigeon for 3 weeks now.

He had a large hole in his chest, which was healing up slowly. Food and water was administered to it and it seemed well. We have a cage with another bird, that we rest it in.

It seemed to be healing better, the bird was eating and jumping around, then it took a turn for the worse we assume. It started to slump in inself, and it's head started to coil and rotate in a strange way. We hoped it would get better, but it hasn't.

We now have had it in a shoe box, wondering if it would just pass away, but it still is alive and we're still keeping checks on it.

However the last 24 hours it's been jumping around in the Shoebox and it's still alive. What's going on?

This bird has survived a massive gaping hole in its small frail body and a sub zero weather, but its' still alive?

Does it have a disease, it slowly dying? We would end it's misery, but it's hard for any of us to do. We're just hoping it just dies naturally, soon.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Flypigeonfly,
Please keep bird in the warm place and start hand feeding her. Use thawed peas and corn, warm them under the warm water until slightly warm.
Take the bird from the box, wrap her in the old t-shirt or towel and place her in your lap. Open beak gently and pop pea in the mouth, push it in the throat and let the bird swallow. Repeat this procedure until 40~50 pieces of corn or pea are swallowed.
This bird according your description has neurological symptoms and will not be able to eat alone. You will need to feed her twice a day the way I described.
After some time it will probably recover but will need your help and support.
Please post a picture of the bird and her poop, I would like to check what it looks like.
Keep birds separated, it is not good idea to place together rescued sick birds as they may be having different diseases and transmit to each other.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
However - the pigeon will not pass disease to humans. l agree w\ Plamenh - supportive care and nourishment is of critical importance now - your pal cannot eat by himself so needs your help. The symptoms may be the result of illness or they may be the result of shock.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Please hand feed the bird. Its the only chance he has to survive and if he doesn't survive you know you did everything you could for it to live. He obviously is a fighter to survive this long. Keeping it warm is also very critical. You did a good job bringing it in from the cold. I hope it can make it. min

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I would add that at this point...he has survived a lotta bad stuff, so he is fighting. He deserves all you can do for him.....keep us posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts