Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had a pigeon hanging around for about 2 weeks. I guess my husband didn't hear me the first time I asked about a band on his leg. (my eyes are bad) Anyhow, my husband has been trying to chase him away for the last 2 weeks. But he does have a band on his leg. I have put out some seed in hoping he will come down and my daughter and I can get the information off of his band. Any suggestions for attracting him ? We have a fresh water fountain that many birds in our neighborhood use for drinking and bathing so he has access to water. He has been fending for himself food wise until today. I would love to try to reconnect him or her with their owner. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, please do try to catch the pigeon and keep it safely confined with seed and water available. If the owner can't be located or doesn't want the bird back, perhaps you could get it to me. I work in Corona during the week.

Terry
I guess I didn't reply correctly last try. As best as I can tell the band says SPIN 16 CA 101. If I manage to catch it where can I take it? My husband is allergic and I won't be able
To keep it in the house.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The poor thing must be lost and desperate if your husband has been chasing him away for 2 weeks, but he won't go. Poor thing. Please catch him as was suggested.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The pigeon has been hanging out on our front porch. Either on top of one of the pillars or under the eaves. I was away for a few days but am back. Today is catch a pigeon day. And suggestions are appreciated. I am trying to approach with my husband in the house for back up since the pigeon is definitely afraid of him by now. We have a good sized animal carrier we use for our 2 bunnies. My plan is to put the bird in there for the short term. Get a good look at the band and then go from there. If it's ok to keep him with food and water in the carrier for a couple of days I think I can keep him in the laundry room until we reunite him or move him to a rescue place. First step is to get ahold of the sweet baby.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As best as I could tell the band says Spin CA 16 101. My daughter thinks the numbers are 1011 but the SPIN doesn't show up as a valid indicator. Today we are focused on getting the bird into a container and in the house and out of the heat.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If he perches where you can reach him, you go out after dark and grab him. If you need to, throw a towel over him. They don't usually fly at night as they can't see well in the dark. If you do this, don't miss, or he may change where he roosts. Don't put on a light. Use a flashlight if you have to, but if you can just barely see him in the dark, that is better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Almost got him!

we tried the towel but he slipped out under the edge. Hopefully he will stick with his favorite spots which are the tops of the porch columns. They are much easier to get to than tucked under the eaves. If he settles back in tonight I will try again. If not, we will wait and try tomorrow after dark. We unsettled him a lot today with multiple attempts. I just want to get him somewhere he will be safe and cared for. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
When you grab him, you need to make it count. He can't get away, or he will leave and not roost there. If he doesn't feel safe, he will find a new roost. Maybe don't use the towel. Just grab him. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unfortunately, his favorite roosting spot is high even for my husband. It's tough to sneak up on him. We each almost got him once today and almost tonight with the towel. But he has slipped out each time. We won't pester him tomorrow unless I see him in the fountain. That is easy to get to. He usually has his back to the front door so I'm hoping I can slip up behind him and grab him then.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Don't keep trying to catch him. He will leave. They aren't stupid, and he won't feel safe. I did mention for you to not use the towel. It apparently doesn't work for you. And trying to get him in the daytime is pointless. Don't try in the daylight. You need to grab him at night when he can't see. If it is too high, then do you have a ladder or lawn chair to stand on? You can't keep trying and failing, or he will leave, then no one will be able to get him. If you have something to stand on, then put it there ahead of time, not when you are going to try and grab him.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts