Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A pigeon has died because of me. Please help me understand what happened so that I can at least gain some experience out of the sad event... The story:

- 2 days ago I found a pigeon belonging to the huge folk of pigeons from the city center that live there (we have a big folk in the city center like Venice)

- It was night and the pigeon had missed flight. He could not fly and could barely walk or move.

- I took him home and hand-fed him grain. I concluded he had diarrhea because he had yelowish, heavily wattered poop. I concluded he was so weak because of not eating due to diarrhea. He had no signs of cranker or any other problem.

- Second day I went to the vet without him and told her the story. He too said that it's diarrhea and to also told me to give him an antibiotic that I already had at home called "Erythromycin".

- I continued to hand-feed him 3 times a day and gave him the antibiotic 3 times a day.

- 3rd day (today) he looked a little worse than before. He did not seem to recover.

- I was out for 3 hours and came back home at 20:00. He looked even worse, very close to dying. He could not even keep his eyes open and was breathing a little heavily. I concluded that he is close to dying and that the problem can only be not feeding him enough. (though I do think I fed him enough)

- I started feeding him and he could barely do the little effort required for swallowing. I have a recipe similar to a water pistol that can spray a small jet of water (I use it to spray pigeons when it's too hot outside). So I was able to also throw water on his beak and this helped him swallow the grain more easily. I also taught that maybe he didn't have too much water and that's why he wasn't recovering.

- I did this for too much and he very probably died out of drowning. Imediatly after he died, I put his head toward the ground and he vomited the water and a couple of grain seeds. So probably he died out of drowning.

- I did CPR for 40 minutes through using a pen tube. I don't know how to properly do this but I knew this is what is done in case of drowning. He didn't recover...

Please help me understand why this has happened so that I can at least gain some experience. Why did he die ? And more importantly: Why didn't he recover ??? Why was the treatment unsuccessful ?

Note: I am not very experienced with pigeons. I tried saving many pigeons during the past 3 years but don't have a good success rate at all.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Am sorry he didnt make it. We lost a poor fledgling we were treating after giving him antibiotics and he died suddenly. We felt really terrible. But we did the best we could. You did the best you could too. Hard to say what happened. He may have aspirated liquid or just been so sick he couldnt get better.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Feral pigeons suffer from a number of problems. First there is trauma, getting hit by a car or bus or running into something like a wire or building. Then there is disease; pigeons suffer from a range of human illnesses that runs from virus, fungus or microbe. Unless you are set up to run blood samples there is no way to know. Giving meds for the wrong illness is worse than useless, it can also kill a weakened bird. Then there are systemic problems, like egg blockage, closure of the intestine (a form of canker) blood clots, diabetes, etc. Absent an autopsy there is no way to know what caused death.

However in the short run, you did the right thing. Give them shelter safety, water food and warmth. They either make it or they do not but you can only do the best you can.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.