Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, my brother found a dove/wood pigeon on the grass not far from our house. it seems like an adult pigeon, as its full size, no baby feathers and its tail feathers are very long. when it tried to fly, it would fall on its head, so it obviously cannot fly. we put it in our shed with bread and water overnight though i am not sure whether its eaten it. should i feed it myself (as in, open its beak and put small amounts of moist bread down with tweezers). it makes raspy breathing noises and i noticed a small amount of blood inside its mouth.

should i just take it to the nearest rspca. im not too keen as im worried they may just put it down :(

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hello,

Please don't try to feed it. Take in indoors and place it in a quiet place in a box. If you have a hor water bottle, fill it and wrap it in a towel, so that it is warm and not hot. Place it on the warm towel and wait half an hour. If you don't have a towel, fill a sock with rice and place the socki in the microwave to warm

While the pigeon is warming up, mix 1 pint warm water with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 tablespoon glucose, sugar or honey. Place some in a shallow dish and gently dip the pigeon's beak in it.

Has it got a ring on its neck? If so, what coulour?

Please let us know where you are, there may be a sanctuary that will help. The RSPCA puts animals to sleep without cause too often.

When you can check the inside of the bird's mouth. It should be smooth and pink. If you see anything else please let us know.

I am going to have to go out soon. This link takes you to a page with a map on it covered in red balloons. Click on each of the red balloons in the area that you live. If one shows that it rescues wildlife or birds click on the link to find contact details. Not all of them take pigeons, so you have to be very careful about asking before giving them a pigeon.

This link will take you to a list of places that will take pigeons. You have to scroll to the second page to find a list of places in England.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/group.php?groupid=21
Cynthia

1 - 2 of 2 Posts