Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there everyone.
i have 2 homing pigeons that ive been looking after for over a year now.
both have homed well at the loft i built for them in my garden. i let them out frequently and they come back in when its feeding time.
3 days ago i took them 7 miles away from their home and flew them. a day later the male pigeon returned but not the other one. its been 3 days now and theres no sign of her. im getting a little anxious and worried now...
they usually fly everywhere together. never alone. and when i flew them they where flying together. couple laps around the area that i let them off and then heading home...
has anybody got any experience on this matter?
anyone had the same problem?
if you could just give me suggestions and share your views with me id be grateful.
its very saddening, i feel like ive lost one of my children.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
let the male fly.. if its in the surroundings she might see him and fly to your place.. also the normal sound you do when its feeding time maybe help to come if she hear it
hi. i have tried all of that already... but still no sign of her.

·
Registered
222 Posts
dont worry i have had the same problem before but with a young bird he returned 2 days later to my loft
i hope your bird returns. Good luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you'll find London has a very high population of hawks and falcons.
hi, there isnt. ive been here over 20+ years and i have never seen a hawk. ive even searched it up on the net before i got my pigeons, to prevent any attack in the future. but it tells you clearly that london (UK) is not the correct environment for a hawk to live in. and especially falcons! there just isnt any.
however there is hawk anf falcon fanciers. that keep them as pets. this is a very low percentage though.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Well if they fly together, and one didn't make it back with the other one, then I would figure that a bird of prey or some other predator probably got the other one. Two pigeons out flying alone aren't really safe. That's why they live in flocks. More eyes to watch for predators. Possible that she was injured and somehow still gets back, but kind of unlikely. Sorry.

·
Registered
268 Posts
and also the hawks that have attacked the little dogs are of pest controls. that are trained to kill mice,rats,feral pigeons and other forms of pests. which backs my statement that there isnt any wild hawks here.
Do you think a hawk can tell the difference between a feral pigeon and a homing pigeon?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Beg to differ.
Google peregrine cams in London.
Sparrowhawks are also very numerous.
If you google sparrowhawks london you'll find just how common they are.

You never realise they are there until you keep pigeons.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Are these actual homing pigoens? 7 miles should be nothing for a homer, yet even the one that came home took more than a day when it should have 15 minutes or so. All pigeons want to stay at home but not all have the ABILITY to come home from a distance even if they have the desire to be home. Had you taken these birds that distance before? She may have gotten lost. Sorry to say it may be time to search for a new mate for your present guy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Beg to differ.
Google peregrine cams in London.
Sparrowhawks are also very numerous.
If you google sparrowhawks london you'll find just how common they are.

You never realise they are there until you keep pigeons.
hi, i just hope shes alright. and that she joined another group or something.
thanks for your response anyway

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Are these actual homing pigoens? 7 miles should be nothing for a homer, yet even the one that came home took more than a day when it should have 15 minutes or so. All pigeons want to stay at home but not all have the ABILITY to come home from a distance even if they have the desire to be home. Had you taken these birds that distance before? She may have gotten lost. Sorry to say it may be time to search for a new mate for your present guy.

hi there, thanks for your response. yes these are homing pigeons. i bought them off a top breeder in the uk. i have taken the birds up to a few miles but this time i went up to 7. today i took the cock to the same location and let him fly (7 miles) just so maby he could find her. he was home within the hour... i phoned a few places. next week im going to go and pick up a hen for him. nothing else i could do but be upset about it.
regards

·
Registered
226 Posts
there were when i was a falconer's apprentice, many many many more keepers inside, and just outside of london, and other major cities across the pond, than there were big keepers of BOPs and often described catching many caught wild ones to pick through to use. most falcons here, were brought originally from english settlers, and many document depict and describe falconry from the area, and how wild falcons often escaped or were released. also many of the shows they show about peregrine falcons show them in london or new york ect and other major cities as best places that they condense and nest in large numbers because of abundant and natural like easy prey and architecture very good and similar to natural environment. the white doves in any less than flock of half dozen are especially easy prey because stand out from color, but then again so many racing pigeons fly so often with no trouble, they may still have an edge if your one makes it back. i have a male roller a prized cock that i keep letting out with my others after say never again, and each time he is immediately targeted by a peregrine, and rolls out when hit, but then hides from a day to week before coming home, even when release the flock and his mate/s. so maybe she will return, or even if injured heard of some on here who rescue then heal up and release then homers go home, so maybe in week to month she will just pop back up, depending on her homing instinct. good luck!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts