Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi, i just hope shes alright. and that she joined another group or something.
thanks for your response anyway
No problem.
It's a sad fact that losing birds is part of pigeon keeping.
She still may come back. I stay in Scotland and have lost half my young birds to peregrines.
Im originally from London and my Dad still keeps pigeons there, he regularly loses birds to hawks and falcons.
Fingers crossed she'll return.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
there were when i was a falconer's apprentice, many many many more keepers inside, and just outside of london, and other major cities across the pond, than there were big keepers of BOPs and often described catching many caught wild ones to pick through to use. most falcons here, were brought originally from english settlers, and many document depict and describe falconry from the area, and how wild falcons often escaped or were released. also many of the shows they show about peregrine falcons show them in london or new york ect and other major cities as best places that they condense and nest in large numbers because of abundant and natural like easy prey and architecture very good and similar to natural environment. the white doves in any less than flock of half dozen are especially easy prey because stand out from color, but then again so many racing pigeons fly so often with no trouble, they may still have an edge if your one makes it back. i have a male roller a prized cock that i keep letting out with my others after say never again, and each time he is immediately targeted by a peregrine, and rolls out when hit, but then hides from a day to week before coming home, even when release the flock and his mate/s. so maybe she will return, or even if injured heard of some on here who rescue then heal up and release then homers go home, so maybe in week to month she will just pop back up, depending on her homing instinct. good luck!
hey dude, thanks alot for your response. thanks for the info and research. its good to present someone with detailed info. but i really do hope she returns, i miss her and most importantly her friend misses her so much! i could just see how sad he looks. and this upsets me a great deal. a very great deal. i originally got them both after my 2 brothers past away and theyve been my companion ever since. helped me alot in so many ways. i didnt wanna share this but i guess honesty is best. im gunna wait about a week or so and if theres still no sign of her then im just gunna accept and try find him another friend. thanks again and regards.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
No problem.
It's a sad fact that losing birds is part of pigeon keeping.
She still may come back. I stay in Scotland and have lost half my young birds to peregrines.
Im originally from London and my Dad still keeps pigeons there, he regularly loses birds to hawks and falcons.
Fingers crossed she'll return.

hello sir! sorry i wasnt trying to disagree with you earlier or anything. just speaking from what i thought i knew. but you obviously have experience with hawks... and im sorry to hear about your birds. its just sad... would you have any suggestions? like for example have a bigger flock? get more birds... letting them out in particular conditions and so on... greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
ive heard to let them out more in evening or sparaticaly so BOPs dont just get idea that dinner is served at any particular time, but i must have one that just waits for my one cock to come out, as whenever i let that roller out he is in trouble were rest hardly have any trouble if at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey there everyone.
i have 2 homing pigeons that ive been looking after for over a year now.
both have homed well at the loft i built for them in my garden. i let them out frequently and they come back in when its feeding time.
3 days ago i took them 7 miles away from their home and flew them. a day later the male pigeon returned but not the other one. its been 3 days now and theres no sign of her. im getting a little anxious and worried now...
they usually fly everywhere together. never alone. and when i flew them they where flying together. couple laps around the area that i let them off and then heading home...
has anybody got any experience on this matter?
anyone had the same problem?
if you could just give me suggestions and share your views with me id be grateful.
its very saddening, i feel like ive lost one of my children.
I’ve had that problem. Just keep looking. If over 2 weeks then probably not gonna come back. I’ve lost 2 birds that I thought were gone taken from me by hawks when I was at work and they came back to the loft and waited for me to let them in Very sad. If they are a mated pair, usually one cannot rest until the other is back. But they come out of that phase after about 3 weeks or so

21 - 25 of 25 Posts