Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

A pigeon couple laid eggs in a pot in my balcony around a month back.
The hatchlings were born out of those eggs.
Yesterday night, when these hatchlings got almost 10-12 days big, the parents left these alone for all night (I checked from 10 o'clock to 1:30 in night), which was pretty surprising for us.
In morning around 8 o'clock, I saw tht the mother was back and again sitting on hatchlings. I thought that maybe she was out in search of food as there was no food there yesterday (I forgot to put) cuz they ate all.

But then around 10 o'clock, when i went out to talk to her, I was stunned, the parents were not there, and one hatchling was also not there. And the worst is, the other hatchling was badly heart. He was bleeding from its eye and I could clearly see and feel his pain. I guess he lost his eye.

I am totally unaware of what would have happened to him and his sibling. And why the parents left these innocent kids alone in night and when all this happened.

I was in dilemma that whether I should take this kid to a vet or not, cuz I've read that if we (Humans) touch these kids, then their parents leave them alone. I was very unclear about what should I do. But I waited for his parents to come in few hours.
His father came in some time and sat on it as usual. Though today he seems to be much angry with me compared as other days.

Now they've again started the cycle of their duties to hatch and to feed I guess. The wound in his eye seems to be dried to me now, I guess his parents did something to heal it.

As far as I believe, on the basis of the threads I've read till now, I guess its some eagle or hawk or something which did this harm to them.
So I've put a curtain there, leaving 2ft open space from ground for their ease.

Now I'm worried about two things, one is I dont want to loose this kid, and second, I dont want him to die also for that injured eye.

Please suggest me what are your views on this tragedy and what should I do to save this poor li'l kiddo.

I'll be so grateful for your help.
Regards,
Bhs.
India.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Take the baby out and take to the vet immediately (pigeon knowledgable avian vet) -it needs human intervention, if this is an unsafe location, do not leave the baby anyway.

The baby will need you to feed it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hi Bhaskar, thanks for caring for the ferals in your balcony. Even if one eye is lost, pigeons do alright with one good eye, though they might not be the fittest of all.
At this point, the baby needs its parents, so it is not an option for you to take it home I guess. If the parents leave the baby for hours at end, maybe you can snatch him from the nest for a while and give his eye a good look....and keep it back quickly.
I think another member here had suggested terramycin ointment for injuries...you will get it in medical stores.
I use ayurvedic eye drops called sunetra drops for eye injuries in my pigeons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But what if I drag that kid from its parrents ?
Wouldnt tht be unethical ?
And how do I pick him up when his parents are there ?
And now its night, so I've to wait for the morning to see a vet. So what about this night ?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi Bhaskar,
Welcome to PT. Thank you so much for trying to help the squabs.

Is that some sort of proliferation on the eye above the blood droplets? To me it don't look like some injury!

If the squab disappeared at night then there must be some night time predator at work. Maybe even a rat?!? Mom always stays in/near the nest at night. So something is spooking her off.

Okay! if you take the responsibility of the squab till it grows then remove the squab from the nest. Yes once the parents see you touch the squab they'll abandon him. Then hes gonna be your responsibility. Can you find an avian vet around your place?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Is the mother sitting on the squab in the nest right now! If not then bring him inside and keep him warm. And return him back to the nest early in the morning before day breaks...

(One can also used rose flower petals and boil them in water and clean the eye INJURY gently with that water)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Jass,

I am not sure about the proliferation, as I dont know much about it. But as the things I witnessed, I think it is injury only, and I now cant see his eye also.

See, I am always there to take responsibility of these poor helpless creatures in such condition, so that is not a matter with me. But the thing is, I can not drag him away from his parents as I can see their love, affection and bonding. And when i place myself to his place, I cant not stay away with my family and live with a totally different species (giant humans to them).

And yes, the mother and father both came back and started sitting on it again now.
But now from late evening, again they are away.

I am hell confused that how could they leave this only kid left alone after all this.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
If the nest site is unsafe then the squab will meet his fate sooner or later as happened to his sibling.

If you wanna save the squab then forgetting about the right or wrong I would RESCUE the squab out of the nest.

Also,If the nest site is unsafe I won't allow that pigeon pair to nest over there ever again.

If its an injury that needs to cleaned gently with a cotton swab. Then only we can see its type/severity!
Thankyou

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
But what if I drag that kid from its parrents ?
Wouldnt tht be unethical ?
And how do I pick him up when his parents are there ?
And now its night, so I've to wait for the morning to see a vet. So what about this night ?
It is not unethical to take the baby out of the nest. It has already proved to be an unsafe place because of the loss of the one baby. Please remove asap. The baby will need a baby bird formula.

thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Skyeking and Jass,

I am so thankful to you n all for sharing your experience and suggestions.
I guess now I've got it and for everyone's info, I've made arrangements in my balcony only with partitions, so that that hawk doesn't get in now, and just the parents can enter.

Nd its a hawk, I know now, as this morning he was back again and tried to steal this baby also, but as these pigeons were making sound, I got out there and flew him away.
Now I guess they're safe then ever.

I put the squab again to the nest in pot with the help of a plate (without touching with hands) infront of his mother.
He was hell scared and screaming, but now he's well.

I guess now the parents are also friends with me.

Now I just have to wake each morning too early and keep an eye to spook tht hawk away if he comes nearby.

By the way, thx to all for help.
"www.pigeons.biz" is a fantastic place, so grateful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.