Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2 and half yr old female pigeon. She's been laying eggs for about 2yrs and has never had a problem laying before although I did notice a couple of times she was unable to fly if about to lay an egg.
Today she is having major problems laying her 2nd egg. She laid the 1st 2 days ago with no problem. This morning I found her on the floor unable to fly or walk, she just hobbles. I've been keeping her in her nest and she has been drinking and eating. I just read that she probably needs calcium right away and I've put some powdered calcium and powdered cuttle bone in her food, she hasn't eaten that yet. Should I put a heating pad under her nest? What else could I do? I know I definitely have to change her diet from now on.
Thanks for any help and suggestions.馃槉

Registered
There are more qualified people here to help you, but i can tell you when you already have an egg laying problem calcium supplements will do no good. all minerals and amino acids must be stored before the bird can use them in egg production.

Premium Member
Get some oyster shell tabs. Give her 3 a day down the throat. Do this for 2 days then go to 1 a day for three more days. And then as she improves Keep oyster shell grit for her. You can get the tabs at any wal mart or pharmacy. In the vit, section.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you re lee, I will go now and see if I can get any from the pharmacy.
Thanks LuckyT, yes I neglected her diet a bit, I usually put the calcium powder in but I ran out of it.
She has been eating a bit of her food now with the calcium powder in and I have a heating pad under her nest, she's looking more comfortable.

Registered
Hi the nest,
If you see her having problems tomorrow laying, a cod liver capsule given right down the throat and lubricating her vent holding her upside down with luke warm olive oil and a GENTLE massage will help her hugely. And setting her on heading pad set on low is good thing you did for her.
For now pls follow re lee's advice. Only thing to add, opt for that calcium supplement which has vitaminD3 in it. Most supplements have it while some don't. So check for it.

Registered
Its post egg laying paralysis....She will recover within a couple of days,if taken care
1.Give her half a tablet of Calcium for the next couple of days.Here in India,we have Calcium granules available with Vitamin D ,Phosphorus etc
2.plenty of rest,don't unnecessary disturb or handle her.
Keep a bowl of food and water near her,usually apart from the leg paralysis...they will show good appetite as well as eat on their own if food and water is provided next to them :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
She laid her egg last night. I'm so relieved! She's definitely looking better today. I've got her food and water next to her nest. Thank you Jass SamOplay, luckily I did get the ones with vitamin D.
Thank you boneyrajan.k, that's good to know she is going to be ok. She's walking much better, I haven't seen her fly yet. She's resting in her nest and she has been eating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts