Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

thought I'd join this site as don't know who else to share it with. For weeks we have had a pigeon nesting near on our house and have spent a great deal of time watching and hoping the best in terms of eggs hatching. All went well and then the chicks grew- I'm sure you know what is coming, anyway they both fledged last night and today in the garden were feathers then I found a carcass of one. I am absolutely gutted and upset. The problem is most people i know would think it silly to be attached to a pigeon and their young, around where I live people shoot them and generally have little compassion for wild animals.

I sometimes feel that I have something wrong with me the way I can easily attach to wildlife and I am sure that's what those to me close think- over sentimental towards animals. However reading about the care and love some of you guys feel for these animals has made me feel less weird and even just writing this has helped. thanks.:(

·
Registered
184 Posts
Pigeons are easy birds to get attached to. They are so clever and have such personality, and their devotion to their mates and children is so sweet.

We just see so much of ourselves in pigeons.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks so much feeling a bit better now but was just so saddened especially after watching all the effort from the parents.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I am so sorry this happened. It is really painful to read what you faced but sometimes we are helpless. And yes we are all attached to animals as you are, so you aren't alone, we all are with you in your pain.
So sad that someone killed whom you were so attached since before his birth.
I am so sorry.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i am so sad with pigeon and as well as your time sharing bird , I think best way to cover your sadness, if you have a little bit time for Pets, than buy a Fantail Pigeon pair, share your time with them, little bit care for them, after it you really feel good and all your life sadness gone

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great News

Some great news! I thought that due to their being feathers in one area then the dead pigeon in another further away area that they had both been killed. Just seen one of the fledglings on our roof- able to fly being fed by the parent. I so happy for them at least one has survived and surely will have a good chance of making it given that it will be the sole focus of mum and dad! Thanks Kiddy Ramsey and Matee for your kind wishes!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I have posted a picture just taken of the lucky survivor to be found here. Wanted to post this directly on here but have to do it through the net? Is that right?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Glad to know that you have another reason to smile :)
Really wish he makes it.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Oh he is adorable :)

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Mogsy1, am very sorry for the loss of the pigeon. But so glad the other survived. Lovely bird! I am also one of those who feels deeply about wildlife...you do not have to apologize for your compassion, ever. People here share that, a true love for pigeons. Welcome!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks C webster

yes i read that it is a gift to care deeply about nature however some days it can be overwhelming.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

Hope he survives. You can offer him some grains to eat for a couple of days so he weans fast and become independent and be on his way

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
hi

thought I'd join this site as don't know who else to share it with. For weeks we have had a pigeon nesting near on our house and have spent a great deal of time watching and hoping the best in terms of eggs hatching. All went well and then the chicks grew- I'm sure you know what is coming, anyway they both fledged last night and today in the garden were feathers then I found a carcass of one. I am absolutely gutted and upset. The problem is most people i know would think it silly to be attached to a pigeon and their young, around where I live people shoot them and generally have little compassion for wild animals.

I sometimes feel that I have something wrong with me the way I can easily attach to wildlife and I am sure that's what those to me close think- over sentimental towards animals. However reading about the care and love some of you guys feel for these animals has made me feel less weird and even just writing this has helped. thanks.:(
What a disappointment. I hear there is allot of cats that are allowed to roam around in the UK? Is that true ? . Fledglings don't stand a chance ESP at dark if that is the case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts