Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Can someone help me out. One block from my apartment i saw a pigeon standing out in the middle of the street. Cars were dodging it, and it finally slowly walked away. It attempted to fly, flapped its wings but only got about 5 inches off the ground, traveled perhaps 4 feet, was airborne for 1 second only. It attempted to fly a second time, didn't even get airborne. The 3rd time, it got bout 2 feet in the air, and tried to hang onto those vines that grow up walls, fell to the ground. I stood in the vicinity and watched it for a while. (its 10:17 pm right now, this happened at 8:00 pm - took me a while to find this site etc.). So the bird walked near some bushes and has been sitting there from 8 to 8:30pm my time. I noticed a tiny mouse walked right beside the bird and the bird didn't even move.

Anyhow i left at 8:30 got home at 8.35 and i am trying to get some advice. The bird is right next to the college dorms, and there are quite a few raccoons on this campus. I'm in Ames, Iowa. the temperature is 48 degrees right now, supposed to be a low of 46.

Can someone knowledgeable give me some information on what to do. The bird seemed 'tired' from my viewpoint. Do you think this bird is injured? Its wing flapping seemed normal to me, but i know very little of birds. The wings didn't seem to flap fast enough to get it airborne really. Is it possible that this is a young/fledgling? bird this late in the year???

Do you think i should bring him home?

I was thinking of getting him home in a box a bit earlier but thought that it might cause him lots of stress. Plus i had no clue what to do afterwards. Then i decided i would wait till tomorrow and take him to the vetmed building and see what they say. However, now i'm getting concerned about the predators in the vicinity, i saw a raccoon on my way back from the campus (and that is only 1 block away). Plus the temperature is supposed to get to 46 degrees tonight.

Anyhow, if any of you are awake, please send me some info asap.

You can also call me at any time,
917-536-8947

Thanks!,
Rattan.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Welcome to Pigeon Talk, Rattan...

Sure would take the bird in overnight! No telling what could happen by tomorrow morning.

For now, if you have a heating pad - set on low with a towel on it and room for the bird to move off if needed - or a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel. You can keep the bird in a box or animal carrier.

She/She could be sick or injured. I'm sure others will be along with helpful advice.

Thank you for your concern. Please keep us updated. Would be great to take the pij to a Vet tomorrow, if you can.

Shi

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Hi rticku, welcome to PT and thanks for your interest in helping this grounded
pigeon. It may be an unfledged jouvenile or a sick or injured pij who will be
in danger in any of the scenarios of being a predator's meal if not brought in
to safety. Usually throwing a jacket or small blanket over the pigeon should
be enough to catch and bring inside. Here's a link to help you until tomorrow
when hopefully local services will be available:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=8822

Please don't feed the bird until the bird has been warmed and hydrated
w/IRS....International Rehydrating Solution. Perhaps while the bird is warming,
you take take a look at the link.

fp

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
If a baby of unknown age, here's a link to determine the approximate age:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=9500

If a 'borderline' jouvenile about to but not quite fledged, the cere or fleshy
part above the beak will appear to be varying shades of rose or pink as opposed
to an adult whose cere will appear to be white.

fp

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Yes, definitely bring it in and keep it warm and safe tonight. I do believe Dr. Wilmer Miller lives in Ames, IA. He is a renowned dove genetics expert .. I don't know if he has any rehab experience, but he is someone you might want to try to locate tomorrow in case he is able to help. (Yep, he's in Ames, IA assuming he isn't off on a road trip right now .. http://www.ringneckdove.com/)

Terry

·
Registered
500 Posts
Follow Up Call To Rattan

Greetings to anyone whose still awake!

I called Rattan to check on the poor little pijie.
He is now going to get a box with some towels in it and take another towel to place over the bird to pick him up and put in the box and bring him safely to his home. He has no other pets, so there won't be a problem keeping him there overnight.

I will call him again in about 20mins. to see if he does have a heating pad/water bottle to place in the box. Also to get a small container of room temp. water in the corner of the box.
Also to make some small holes around the top side edges of the box.

He stated that there is an Avian Vet near to his home and is willing to get the pij there tomorrow.

If anyone is still around at this hour, can you tell me any other instructions for me to convey when I call back?

I'll write again after I speak with him. He really is a nice guy to care for this little one.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Thanks, Christin! For right now, warm (very warm), dark, and quiet is probably best. The bird can be offered some water, and if it wants to drink, that is fine. I would not attempt to feed it or "make" it eat tonight. Let's just get it warm, hydrated (if needed), and safe for tonight.

Terry

·
Registered
500 Posts
Pij safe and sound...

Ok Guys!

This little guy is safe and sound for tonight. towels and a little water in his box with some air holes.
This nice rescuer will update us tomorrow!
Thanks and God Bless! Sweet Pidjy dreams to all!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Safe and sound.

Hi people. The bird is doing well. And it's in good hands with a veterinarian (at 12:45 am central time!).

I had called the vetmed clinic and left a message around midnight expecting to wait until the morning. But as luck would have it, around 12:30 am the vetmed clinic called me back. The vet said she was in the operating room with another animal and that I could bring in the pigeon right away. So it's 1:14 am right now and I just returned from the clinic (it's just a short drive from where I live).

The vet took a quick peak at the bird. She said it appears to be in better health than many pet birds. I left my contact information with them so that they will be able to inform me of the outcome. I will leave a message on here and email everyone who responded to this thread to keep you updated.

On behalf of the pigeon, and myself, thank you to everyone on this website!

Sincerely,
Rattan

P.S. And a special thank you to Christin RN for calling me just a few minutes after my original posting.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Bless you for saving this little pigeon. He probably wouldn't have made it through the night grounded out there, especially since it seems you have a lot of predators in the area.
Please give us an update when you can.

Reti

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for the update, appreciate what you did to get the bird out of traffic and get the help it needed. PLEASE let us know how he/she is doing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts