Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so today I was taking my daughter to nursery and saw by the side of the road a pigeon just flapping around trying to get back on its feet, I thought I’d drop my daughter off first and if it’s still there on way back then I can help it. By the time I got there 5 mins later it looked like it was dead and on its back but i could see it was breathing so I wrapped it in a towel. There is blood coming out of his eye, and wing I feel so sorry for it, poor little thing. It is now in our shed in the garden nice and warm and quiet, Its sat upright and taking water regularly, and now just had a little bit of food, I went to pet shop and got some wild bird feed and made it liquid so he is just lapping it up with his tongue as wouldn’t eat it in it’s hard form. I have no idea if I’m doing the right thing, any advice please? It’s sleeping on and off and has a slight twitch whilst at rest, I’m guessing it has been hit by a car as the injuries would back that up. How often should I be feeding/and giving the poor fella food? Do you think he will ever survive this? I feel bad on him as not sure if it’s worse me looking after him if it’s something he will never be able to survive? What’s my next step? Thanks in advance Leah

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, so today I was taking my daughter to nursery and saw by the side of the road a pigeon just flapping around trying to get back on its feet, I thought I’d drop my daughter off first and if it’s still there on way back then I can help it. By the time I got there 5 mins later it looked like it was dead and on its back but i could see it was breathing so I wrapped it in a towel. There is blood coming out of his eye, and wing I feel so sorry for it, poor little thing. It is now in our shed in the garden nice and warm and quiet, Its sat upright and taking water regularly, and now just had a little bit of food, I went to pet shop and got some wild bird feed and made it liquid so he is just lapping it up with his tongue as wouldn’t eat it in it’s hard form. I have no idea if I’m doing the right thing, any advice please? It’s sleeping on and off and has a slight twitch whilst at rest, I’m guessing it has been hit by a car as the injuries would back that up. How often should I be feeding/and giving the poor fella food? Do you think he will ever survive this? I feel bad on him as not sure if it’s worse me looking after him if it’s something he will never be able to survive? What’s my next step? Thanks in advance Leah
Hey Leah, Ah bless you that's so sweet of you stopping to help a pigeon in need. I literally just joined this site and will post our own story of what we found, basically a pigeon who looked like he broke his wing, we called our local emergency vet in Bath and bless them they told us to bring him in and they would try to help him. So why don't you call your local vet to see if they could do the same. When I called them I said " i know everyone probably thinks there are loads of pigeons around and maybe you can't help or don't care but is there anything you can do to help' - they said aw bring him in we will do what we can. **posted that before we rung them for an update unfortunately our one was put to sleep apparently he was really badly injured, Im so sad I was really hoping he would survive as I read there are pigeon sanctuaries and they can live quite happily in captivity not being able to fly - anyway its too late now so I am going to post our story on here and maybe anyone who is experienced with helping these sweet little injured creatures would be able to advise on what best to do in future. It might well have been that ours was genuinely too badly injured or maybe he could've been saved who knows. I wish you all the absolute best wishes with yours and I really hope you can help him live xxx sorry my reply isn't more helpful to you in your personal situation I just wanted to send you love and best wishes for being such a kind soul to stop and help him with the best intentions. xxx

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Can you post a photo? He might be a fledgling and too young to eat by himself. If he is still alive by now, he probably will survive. Any avian vet that you trust and won't just euthanize?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so here is a few photos and videos, he does still have some fluffy bits on his chest so possible he is still young? You can see in this pic his eye isn’t in a good way.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Poor baby. He might have a concussion, so keep him in a semi-dark spot as heat and light can make things worse. You can gently dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water. Remove the bowl in front of him, he might drown if he tries to walk and fall over. What do the droppings look like? If brown and firm, then he was recently fed. In this case, just keep him hydrated for now.

If droppings are green and creamy and very little, then he needs to be handfed. Defrosted green peas works best. Just put him on your lap (facing to the right if you are righthanded). Reach with your lefthand over his body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside his beak over the tongue. He will need 90 peas per day divided into 3 meals of 30 each. Start by feeding him 10, when that gets digested you can feed more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, he is looking a bit brighter this morn but if he tries to walk or flap his wings he just falls onto his side. Not drinking that much that’s why I’m concerned as feel like he should be having more but keep offering it to him. Will do the pea thing and see how we get on thanks

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Hi, thanks so much for helping him.

I explained everything about head trauma/concussion in several threads, as I only have a few free minutes I attach a link to an old thread, you could find there (post # 6) even three helpful links about concussion:

I also explained how to rinse his eyes and to treat his injuries.

Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you, I have just looked at the thread and will try what you suggest. He is still going and I feel more alert, has taken a few steps still falls to his side every now and then but better than yesterday, also his wings seem in a better position, yesterday they was kind of all of the place now they are laid nicely against his body. I am slightly worried about the eye but will follow your instructions to look after it. Pls see updated pics. Also a close up of eye

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Glad to hear that he seems more alert. Recovery from a head trauma could take some days or a long time, it depends on the severity of the blow.
I forgot to say that my French vet gave me some tablets called candilat (papaverine and vincamine), they can be used in case of head trauma. Personally I found them very helpful.
I don't know if they are available in UK (maybe with a different name) but if you have a trusted vet and you decide to bring him the bird you could ask for his opinion about them.

The eye does not look well, try to rinse it, we need to avoid any risk of infection (also be sure that there are no foreign bodies inside it). Could you get an antibiotic ophtalmic cream?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi there, so our little birdy friend is coming along nicely, eating well but still only by hand won’t feed himself. His feathers are starting to look a bit messy and unkempt, does anyone have any advice as to what we could do to keep him in good condition? Also he flaps his wings but still not flying, is this still something that could come or do you think he can no longer fly? Are there any exercises we could do with him to help this along or is best to just leave him to figure it out? He is also becoming very tame, likes to sit with us if we are in garden and jumps up on our hand or arm, is this a bad thing should we be trying to handle him as little as possible? Thanks Leah

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Glad to hear he is doing well. He will benefit from calcium with added Vit D3 and a general vitamin supplement. How is the injured eye? Do you think he has vision? I would suggest keeping him. Looks like he is already tame and will have a hard time surviving when getting released. Just be careful taking him outside, he might get spooked by something. If he flies away now, he won't survive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The eye is ok, it opens slightly occasionally, but there is a big scab on the side that prob just needs to just fall off when it’s ready and when it does he might be able to open it more, possibly. Not sure about sight yet. He is very sensitive to it though doesn’t like you trying to clean it or go near it. Oh ok I hoped he would be able to have a normal life back in the wild so that’s sad to hear that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts