Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was crossing Broadway at Thorndale an hour ago, watching a car turning onto Thorndale to make sure the driver didn't change their mind and drive into me. I hear a thump and glimpse a pigeon going under the bumper.

The pigeon was more or less okay looking, walking around a bit dazed. I picked it up and carried it out of the street. It seemed not to mind being held. I got a couple blocks down the street toward my apartment when it felt like it should fly away. I held it out on the palm of my hand. It stood for a few seconds, then took off upward in tight circles, up 20 feet or so, went around a lightpole, and landed in a yard. I picked it up again and took it home. While being carried, it puked up some corn kernels and some seeds.

It is now in a box in my bathtub with a thin towel over the top. Occasionally, it goes psychotic and stumbles in clockwise circles while dragging its chest across the bottom of the box. I believe this is an indicator of some brain trauma. Other than that, it looks pretty good for being hit by a slow car. The top side of the left wing is a bit greasy and dirty from scraping along the pavement under the car. But, from what I can tell, it has no bone injuries.

I'll feed it and give it water, check on it and warm it if needed, and keep it for a couple days. Unless, of course, someone else wants it.

~Steven
Chicago (Edgewater neighborhood)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I emailed Grimaldy who is a member that lives in Chicago.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Hi Steven - Welcome to Pigeon Talk! Thank you for taking this pigeon home with you. I'm not an expert at injuries, but please hold off on feeding for the moment... do you have a heating pad you can set on low, cover with a towel and put in one half of the box. The pigeon probably does need some warmth. Water/rehydration is a good idea. Only reason I would suggest holding off on the food for the time being is to determine the extent of any injury.

Someone with more experience will be along shortly.

can you post a picture or two?

Also, how do his poops look? As in color, consistency - if you can post a picture of those too it will be helpful.

Thanks again for taking him/her into your home!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Umm...........................................................................nevermind :-(

There's something strangely beautiful about a dead pigeon. I don't mean to get all American Beauty on y'all (and I *certainly* don't wish to offend all you pigeon and animal lovers out there), but it's quite pretty looking. And at least it's no longer suffering.

Well, this sucks. Anybody want a pretty, dead pigeon? If you can convince me that your motives aren't disgusting, it's yours.

~Steven

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Oh Steven, I'm sorry the bird didn't make it, but you were kind to try and help it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts