Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped on the express way to get a pigeon who was sitting on the shoulder of the road. His right wing is hurt where it joins the body. The joint still works (he can flap both wings) but his "armpit" is cut open and very swollen. He is not going to the bathroom at this point and I put neosporin on the open wound to prevent infection. He is very quiet, I think it hurts if he moves. He is alert-- when I walk in the room he puts his head up and looks at me.
I have a bowl of sugar water by him as well as a shallow dish of seed. I make him drink every once in awhile to be sure he doesn't dehydrate.
Anyone have any ideas? I can't afford a vets care, and an emergency vet offered to put him down for me-- but I don't think he's beyond repair. I had to really searh to find the problem. He's not bloody and doesn't appear to have any broken bones...
Help if you can--
Thanks,
Robin

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Robin,

Thank you for rescuing the pigeon. Can you tell us where you are? He might need antibiotics for the armpit injury and there might be a member nearby that can help.

If you could boil some water and add salt then let it cool a bit, you can use that to wash the armpit injury.

Any chance of a photo of the injury?

Cynthia

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
It doesn't sound as though his injuries are critical and you've done the right thing by providing him food, water and shelter. Does he have bands on his legs? Please do let us know your general location so we can offer some resources.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in Auburn Hills Michigan 48326. He doesn't have bands but he gave very minimal resistance and he seems to like having his head scratched (leans in and closes his eyes) I think he may actually belong to someone but my fiance thinks he's just in too much pain.
He pooped a couple times- it was small for a pigeon-- dark green mixed with light green and the yellowish white stuff-- pretty typical, looks normal to me (small but normal).
He's also standing now and walking-- very minimal walking but not laying anymore.
His side with the injury is still very swollen. Under the wing and extending over into his crop area.
I just logged on and will check out the links given to me.
I'll take a picture and post it as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe it is a juvenile as well-- the eyes are grey in color-- thought it was an adult, I didn't know the eye thing, but it makes sense, my doves change eye color as they mature too.... good to know.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Robin,

That is a pretty pigeon. The location of the wound suggests that it could have been shot and/or that the crop has been damaged. It is hard to tell.

You will need to clean the wound with sterile saline, remove any scabbing very gently and then work round the very edge of the wound with a pair of tweezers, tweezing and pulling all the time, to see if any debris or feathers have been forced into the wound by whatever caused the injury.

Also look carefully on the other side of the body to see if there is a paralell wound or and exit wound. Please tell us what you find.

For pain relief you can give a single drop of Meloxicam/Metacam once a day if you have it, otherwise disolve 325-mg of aspirin in 250 ml of drinking water. Change the water three times a day because the tablet will alter the taste and the smell.

Keep it warm but not hot.

I have had a pigeon that had her wing shattered by a bullet (or pellet) that went right through her crop. Not only did she survive but she was also able to fly again. I would say that with medication and nursing the prognosis is good.

I am hoping that someone on the US can either help you with antibiotics or refer you to a rehabber that will nurse it back to health.

Please keep us updated.

Cynthia

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is no exit wound and he slapped me when I touched him--apparently he's feeling a bit better today, lol. My fiance says he doesn't think it was shot (he hunts).
The wound is very clean-- I pulled seed out of it this morning and am keeping it moist with the topical. It lookes like the damage is just to the skin and the under lying muscle and tissue are exposed. It's swollen, but doesn't really look damaged. I think his main enemy at this point will be infection. If I can keep that from happening hopefully he'll be okay.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I pulled seed out of it this morning
That means the crop has been ruptured.

It will need to be treated with amoxycillin or clavamox. The crop should ideally be sutured, there are two layers that need to be sutured separately, the lining of the crop and the fragile skin layer over it.

I have only had two birds with ruptured crops, fortunately they both were pretty high up. I took both of them to the vet (who is not an avian vet) and he told me to ensure they had food and water, but to feed well below the level of the injury so that there would be no spillage from the crop into the area between the crop and the skin. He said the crop would heal itself. This worked for them, but if I was you I would look for a rehabber.

Cynthia

·
Registered
9 Posts
No it's not ruptured to my knowledge. There were 3 seeds stuck to the ointment on the outside of the wound. He just got it stuck when he laid on some seed. I had a chicken with a compacted crop and I had to cut the crop open and remove the wad of grass she had consumed. Crops do generally heal themselves. They're like a rubber sack-- The hole will only open if it's stretched out to that point. His crop is holding water -- though I don't really feel any seed in it. I may have to start feeding him exact hand feeding form or peas/ corn...

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Well, you obviously know your way around a bird and are not squeamish, so it is reassuring to know that the pigeon is in good hands! :)

Cynthia

·
Registered
343 Posts
The pigeon is very lucky to be rescued by someone like you.
Your doing a superb job.

Please keep us posted with him.

God Bless
Kevin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow. I'm very flattered and thank you. I try to do my best-- I've been working with them for awhile and really love my pets. If I purchase an oral antibiotic over the counter for a respiratory problem, will it be something that will help fend off an infection or is it too weak.
To be honest this is the first flesh wound I've delt with. Most of the time it's eye infections or abandoned hatchlings--
He just sat with me for a half hour watching tv... I'm getting a bit attatched... lol. That rarely happens.
Also, is there anyone in my area that has access to medicine. All I have is aspirin and the triple antibiotic w/ pain reliever. when I put that on he seems to have a bit of a better time but I still hate to see him dealing with this-- It's just not right-- I can only imagine-- that much pain AND being scared as well-- at least when we hurt we're not terrified of everything going on around us...

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Where in Michigan are you? Cyro contacted me earlier and asked that I help you with resources but I have been out of town and read the message after my return.

·
Registered
9 Posts
He's doing a lot better today. When I walk inthe room he runs to the other side of the cage. His wound is also flesh colored instead of looking red a damaged. He is also eating and pooping... a lot. He isn't sitting on the perches yet-- sits on the towel on the floor instead.
Any advice on when I should let him go? I feel bad for him stuck in that cage. He'll flap his wings and he bangs the perches and the sides of the cage etc...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts