Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving home from work last night and I saw this pigeon flapping on the side of the highway and of course I swerve over and pull over and grab my shirt from my gym bag and run back to see if I can get this bird without getting us both killed. The first time he flew but only a couple of feet before slamming back into the concrete barrier and I was able to fling my shirt over him/her? and grabbed him up.

So now I have a pigeon in my lap. So I get him home and of course it was cold and rainy so I set him up in the hospital cage I use for various rodents that my cat brings home alive and let him warm up. I mean I figured if he died at least he would die in a nice warm place rather than in the cold and rain on the highway. He made it through the night so today I got a chance to access his injuries. I had made some calls today while I was at work but the vets were quoting $500-$1000 depending on the injuries and to be honest I could barely pay for my rent this month and the bird rescues I called refused to take a pigeon and said they would just euthanize him.

Well I know pigeons are tough little birds so I figured I would at least see what I could do.

So the skin was torn across the breast on one side and muscle was exposed but there wasn't any torn muscle except around the crop area, from what I could see. The biggest problem that I could visibly access is that there was a hole torn in his crop on the side of the injury.

So I get out my supplies and I scrubbed down the injury area with surgical scrub betadine and flushed the debris and seeds from his crop. I was able to pull the edges of the torn area of the crop and sealed it with surgical glue. (saw this type of repair on another site on the web).Then I took what skin I could and pulled that over the wound as much as possible and sealed that with the surgical glue as well. There's still some muscle tissue exposed so I just covered it in neosporin and wrapped sterile gauze around the bird to keep the area clean.

So Mr. Bird is awake and alert and seems to realize that I'm not trying to eat him. I had bird antibiotics, doxycyline on hand so I mixed that into his water and he drank a small bowl of water. I checked the wound and there was no leaking from the crop area.

Now there could be some other injuries and the bird does have difficulty in standing but that could be because of muscle bruises in the chest area. The legs themselves don't seem to be broken and the feet can grasp.

So I've set him up to be as comfortable as possible. I'd like the little guy to pull through but who knows. Anyway if anyone has any other suggestions that would be cool.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
wow good job! only advice would be keep going for a whole round of anti biotics.
if you can pick up a little nolvasan, dilute it with water and put it in a squeeze bottle, you can flush the area twice a day, it really helps speed up healing and kills bacteria without being drying like betadine.
limit his mobility if you suspect fractures that are not obvious

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hi,
Looks like that is one very lucky and happy pigeon! Thank you so much for helping this helpless creature you will be thanked. Make sure he is warm and that he is eating well. You can put some defrosted peas and corn for him to eat. If he is not eating just open his mouth and plop about ten peas and corn one by one. If he has trouble swallowing it, you can rub his throat gently to help him swallow. Can you post some pics so we can see his condition?

Thanks again for helping him!!!

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Hi LV426, Sounds like you did a real nice job. Like Altgirl said, do a full round of antibiotics. And watch that it doesn't abscess.
For open wounds on poultry (that can't be stitched), the vet I work for uses a paste made up of equal amounts of honey and sugar.
I'm sure he's pretty sore from the trauma, which could account for his being unstable on his feet.
Good job, keep us posted please :)

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Yes well - amazing job so far ! Childrens Advil or Childrens Motrin (not lnfant formula - Childrens formula) could be used as an anti-inflammatory-painkiller (.02cc per 100g of pigeon assume a weight of 250g for the bird- 2x day) Better still is Medacam but l dunno if that is available to you. lf so - 1.5 mg per ml suspension - doses .06 cc 2x per day for avg. pigeon size. Medacam (aka meloxicam) has an advantage being it won't make the pigeon drowsy & is a stronger painkiller.....but l have seen avian vets prescribe the Childrens lbupropen as well. Also concerns about eating if there's an injured crop:confused:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
LV426 I think you have done a great job and thank you for trying to save this pigeon. Lets hope he can pull through. If he can't at least he was warm and cared for.

Jaye, I love reading all your posts, I learn so much. min

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in Kent, Washington.

Well so far I haven't offered any food just water. The glue seems to have held because his crop is no longer leaking water when he drinks. I'm more concerned about fluids for now and since he drinks on his own I'm happy. He's had another dose of antibiotics in his water today and seems to be doing better. He's holding himself more upright and trying to move around more. I was worried that he might do some damage so I wrapped him in a soft towel to keep him as still as possible but still able to reach the water bowl.

His eyes are bright and clear and he's alert. So here's just hoping that he will bounce back on his own.

G

·
your doing a great job , Im keeping my fingers crossed for you and your little friend ,good luck and good healing ;)

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Agreed - can't ask for much better care than you are providing. Just wondering aloud if Doxycyclne is the most appropriate antibiotic in this instance - any thoughts from the Forum:confused: Also any members in WA ?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Agreed - can't ask for much better care than you are providing. Just wondering aloud if Doxycyclne is the most appropriate antibiotic in this instance - any thoughts from the Forum:confused: Also any members in WA ?
I was told clavamox was the choice for cuts and wounds.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i think doxy is better than nothing, wounds don't always get infected, if it was an animal bite it would be a different story.
i prefer baytril myself
if you can us tell us the mg/ml of doxy and the weight of the piji we can figure out the dosage, for birds it's 25mg/kg 2xday

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
LV, I am in SF...if you'd like, I can send you some Clavamox or Cipro (= Baytril); either of which might be more appropriate....it'd only take a day or two to get there...until then, keep with the Doxy; I agree, it is certainly better than nothing. PM me with your mailing info if you like.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Just some drug info

Clavamox, Dose- up to 125 mgs TID orally up to 3 weeks.
Used to treat severe or deep puncture wounds, and helps greatly in preventing the spread of necrotic tissue.
This drug has a much broader spectrum than Baytril and therefore will treat a much greater range of ailments.

Baytril, Effective against small surface wounds containing aerobic bacteria, oral E.coli and salmonella (paratyphoid) and some respiratory infections involving the bronchial tubes.
It is ineffective against anaerobic bacteria and should NOT be used for any gut bacterial problems or deep puncture wounds which involve anaerobic's.

I'm looking up Doxy - I'll get back to ya

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so Day 5 after pigeon was hit by car. The pigeon is able to stand on his feet now and sort of shuffles when he walks but he's not flapping helplessly anymore and he's able to stand on his own. He's still drinking water. There's been some minor leakage of water from the area I sealed with the glue around his crop when he drinks but I'm pretty confident that he will be ok. He drinks more water than leaks out so I'm hoping the injury will heal over with time. The muscle tissue exposed has scabbed over. There doesn't seem to be any infection so far. A little minor bleeding from where he cracked the scab when he was trying to walk around but I just apply neosporin and hope that will suffice. So far he's pooped 4 times. I'm feeding him a mash instead of seeds because I figure that will be easier for him to digest since he has a crop injury. There has been minimal food intake but he's still drinking.

I know he's in some pain because he does the ruffled feather thing where he stands all stiff and pulls his head in but that's to be expected when you are hit by a car. I gave him some childrens ibuprofen but not sure if it helped.

I don't think there are any major internal injuries because I would think he would have bled to death by now if there had been. Every day he stays alert and alive is one more day he has to recover and get better. I'm hopeful that he will be ok. My chukar sort of keeps him company during the day and watches him. The pigeon responds to him when he peers at him through the bars and chooks at him. Maybe he won't feel so isolated with another bird around even if it's not his normal kind of bird.

Anyway thanks for everyone's advice. I've spoken with my vet who gave me some cypro for him and gave me some dermaskin bandage things for his breast exposure but I'm not sure if I should put it on now that it's scabbed over.

Anyway we'll keep fingers and wings crossed that he comes out on top.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
All sounds great except the eating thing Pigeons drop weight extremely FAST - lf they go only a couple of days wth little food they will seriously weaken - 5 days of signficant under-eating can really compromise the birds strength & ablty to heal -ls the chestbone protruding dramatically :confused: lf you are feeding a mash he needs to get a good 25cc a day at least - lf that's not possible due to crop situation l might suggest veggie-popping maybe just 4 or 5 pcs per meal (so as not to extend the crop) & 5 meals a day - use thawed slightly warm peas corn carrots & pop them into the back of his mouth being careful not to block the trachea open'g- he should recognize & swallow - BTW unless the scab looks really icky l'd leave the Dermaskin off

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the breast bone was sticking out anyway because of the damage from the car hitting him so I can't really use that as a gauge. But tonight I came home and he's eating his mash and has eaten at least 1/4 cup. So I'm going to take that as a positive sign. I have some critical care that I added to his mash. Anyway crossing wing feathers that all progresses positively.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts