Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What seems to be a fairly young pigeon crashed into my living room window, when I saw him outside he didn't seem injured but could not fly. I have no experience with birds but have been trying to care for this pigeon I have it in a box with food and water but I'm not sure what food is best or what kind of care it needs. I am in Reno Nv. and have not found anyone or anywhere that can help me with this. Any kind of advice would be very appreciated

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Hang on...I'll be back in a minute with a resource for you.

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
All Creatures Veterinary Hospital
Dr. Moreen Adams – Avian
6474 Bonde Lane
Reno, NV 89511
(775) 851-3151
Dr. Adams will see both pet and feral pigeons.
The rescuer is responsible for all services.
This practice has several clients that have pet pigeons currently under their care.

Call this place and ask if they have any clients that do pigeon rescue or know of someone that does, in your area.
Good luck. You may have a young bird that doesn't know how to eat on it's own yet.
Let us know.

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Can you post a picture of the bird?

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Lemmon Animal Hospital
Dr. Webb
9255 Lemmon Dr.
Reno, NV 89506
(775) 972-7700
Dr. Webb is a pigeon rescuer herself.
She is willing to see both pet and feral pigeons. The rescuer will be responsible for services rendered of feral pigeons.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Happycamper...Thank you for helping the poor guy......Ijust wanna clarify something....Charis is giving you facilities where you can bring the bird in and have it treated/checked out.

If you expect you can just drop it off there and leave it...I am not sure you can do that...they might (will probably) just put it down if you do that.

So, hopefully you can bring it and have it checked over and are OK to pay something for the visit. If not, your only other option is a wildlife rescue place (where you just drop off the bird and are done w/him), but I can tell you there's at least a 50% chance than any wildlife rescue is going to just kill the pigeon....actually, probably greater than 50% if they accept pigeons at all.

If you cannot foot any sort of vet bill....then your only other option is to keep the bird at home and give it some supportive care...warmth, food, water...for the next coupel of days and see if he regains his abilities.

If you post a pic, we can determine if something looks broken.

Sometimes such an impact will fracture or break a bone, sometimes it'll just...well...make them 'loopy' for a few days, where they sorta lose their cognizance a bit. Then they come out of it slowly and regain their abilities....

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Jaye...that actually was not my intention that the bird just be dropped off. I made the suggestion that the rescuer call these palces to see if they happen to know of a client or other that will take the bird.
Certainly happycamper can take the bird to them for evaluation if he/she will pay for it.
Often vets that treat feral pigeons do know of a local rescue organization. The last vet I posted does do pigeon rescue herself. Whether she will take it...I don't know. She does like pigeons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.