Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a NYS licensed wildlife rehabber. One of the vets I work with brought me a pigeon that she was not sure was wild or not. There is nothng wrong with the bird, can fly, was infested with lice & worms so was treated. She is a young bird, I have never seen a 'wild' pigeon so lovely. If anyone can tell me if this is a special breed I would appreciate. Tank you!

Attachments

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Flying Flight

Hi, I am a NYS licensed wildlife rehabber. One of the vets I work with brought me a pigeon that she was not sure was wild or not. There is nothng wrong with the bird, can fly, was infested with lice & worms so was treated. She is a young bird, I have never seen a 'wild' pigeon so lovely. If anyone can tell me if this is a special breed I would appreciate. Tank you!
Hi BABYBELLA, The bird is a NEW YORK FLYING FLIGHT grizzle , looks like a bretty nice bird this is not a wild bird.GEORGE;)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Yep, both are beautiful Flying Flights. Very popular breed in NY and NJ. It looks like they are banded, which means there's a good chance they can be traced back to their owner :) These birds are nothing like homing pigeons, so they can get lost very easily. This is probably the case, and I'm sure the owner wouldn't mind having his/her birds back :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks George! Yes, a gorgeous bird! Do you know where I could find information on this breed? Just did a search but couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually one bird is banded, the one with a broken wing, he was surrendered by the owner to the vet. Had an old break in wing and the owner cut the blood feathers so bird wouldn't step on wing and it became infected so the they gave to vet. I actually get alot of banded birds each year and I have never had one 'owner' want the bird back when I called! Very sad. One man actually told me to snap the birds neck, the bird had a bad case of bumblefoot. Needless to say I didn't, treated him and rehomed.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Oh wow! Well I'm glad it's now with you :)

Here's one site with some info on the origin. The interviews page may give some info on the sport they use these birds for.
http://flyingflight.8k.com/origin.htm

Basically they fly them in flocks, and the idea of the game is to lure birds from other flocks into theirs. The captured birds can then be given back to the original owner, kept, or sold. Most people now probably just give them back, since it's just the bragging rights they want :p It was pretty big at one time, but I'm not sure how many people still do it in the city now. Seems like the pigeon hobby in general is slowly dying out :(

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
An American Breed

Thanks George! Yes, a gorgeous bird! Do you know where I could find information on this breed? Just did a search but couldn't find anything.
BABYBELLA, If you go to the show flight web site you may find that some of the breeders of show flights also breed and fly the flying flight.This bird was developed in and around NEW YORK CITY back in the 1930's. When I was a youngster living in NYC I saw pigeon men flying flocks of 200 and 300 of these birds. This bird is an AMERICAN BREED. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
N.Y. Flying Flights

If anyone needs help in tracking down these birds please contact me at my e mail. [email protected] I am the person who did the Flying Flight website back in 2001.
My name is Rich Bailin and I am the VP of The Mid Island Flying Flight Club on Long Island.
If you need help finding the owners and they have club bands on that say MFC please let me know and i'd be glad to help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts