Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can offer some help on an injured pigeon in Las Vegas. We saw him in our yard last Sunday afternoon dragging the left wing along the ground. He was able to "fly" up about 2 -3 ft for a short distance before landing awkwardly. Eventually we were able to get him into one of our cat carriers and bring him into our garage. Aside from the wing, he appears healthy; no other obvious signs of injury, eyes are alert, poop seems normal (at least it looks like what he & his friends usually leave along our sidewalk!) He is drinking and is eating the finch seed & millet sprays that we've placed in the carrier.

We have tried to get this poor guy some help, but so far we've had no luck. Adding to the problem is that fact that I am going out of town next weekend for 4 days so I need some help soon.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!

Paula

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Thank you for bringing this pigeon in. One of our members, Phil, lives in LV and takes in all things big and small. :p His specialty is pigeons. He should be on soon and will be able to help.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Hi Paula,

I did not get your earlier 'PM' till just now...after Midnight...I have to keep signing in all the time and since I had not posted anything since earler, the PM did not occur/come through, till I signed in again just now.

Anyway, I PM'd you...

Phil
l v

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
I kinda' have to wonder if ganggreen chose that screen name because the bird's got that dark, bluegreen coloring in the skin around the injury that comes with extensive bruising in birds.

Pidgey

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Hi all...

'ganggreen' brought over the Pigeon just alittle while ago, named 'Gilbert' now 'Gilly', as 'Bill' ( a presumed male Pigeon ) here identified her as a 'Hen'.

Wing shows old multiple breaks, of the Humerus and Wrist area, which have knit into a 'frozen wing' far as flexation, though she can lift and somewhat move the Wing as-a-whole, but without articulation or extention.

Very sweet, self-posessed, pretty dark Blue-Bar, bright eyed, good poops...good weight.

So, looks like an old inury which knitted already, while she managed to get by as a Ground-Bird howeer long, prior to being found.

Had a nice visit with ganggreen...and set 'Gilly' into a pro-tem Cage with my two twizzler-Beak Boys, where-upon 'Bill' started heay flirting and being pushy in a 'Hey Baby' kind-of-way, immediately.

I'll let 'Gilly' into free roam in aday or two, after a little more obseration time.

She's handled 'Bill' already so he's lightened up and layed-off...so that's good, she's got good self-assertion going.

Thanks ganggreen for your rescue and prior care of this little-one!

And for the drive across town to get them here.

I'll see if I can post a picture later.

Best wishes!

Phil
l v

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Well done, ganggreen and Phil!!

Dr. Doolittle, the pigeon whisperer...does his "work" again!! :D

Woe says she knows what Gilly is talking about with Bill. Unfortunately, Woe is not as assertive as Gilly :eek: and will have to talk to her for pointers!

Looking forward to pictures, Phil!

Love, Hugs and Scritches

Shi

P.S. Looks like there is another reason why our new member, ganggreen, chose the screen name, Pidgey...

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Well...after a few days sharing a Cage with the two Twizzler-Beak Brothers, 'Gilly' went into free-rove, very soon had socialized into the milieu, and has been getting along very nicely.

She's a little solitary, far as I can tell, but, has had a nice full Crop whenever I've checked on her, so, she'd managing well at the Feed Bowls when chow-times roll around.

She's an older Hen, has a very mature disposition...and has not encouraged any of the would-be suitors.

Just thought I'd up-date her story before it drifted too far down the memory-hole.

Love...

Phil
l v

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Hi Shi,

Thanks...

Here's a heck-of-a-note - 'Gilly' can fly.

She took off from a standing start on the floor, and flew half-way across the room, gaining about three feet altitude, landing well.

I would never have thought that her frozen, droopy limited-orbit Wing could do it. She must have been praticing too, her flight was very nicely done, if labored, but she matched her good Wing to what the limited Wing can do, so, no lop-sided drift or turnings...everyhing straight and even and balanced.

Wow...

They never cease to amaze me.

Phil
l v

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Pattie Cakers and X-er could sorta' do that for a few years, too. The more they do it the better they get up to a point. I'd find X-er up on top of the feed cans (the old steel trash cans) and couldn't figure out how he got up there until I caught him hopping up to a small step and then flying over there to the cans (10 feet). Of course... he had some motivation--he was trying to catch the eye of a particular hen.

Pidgey

G

·
Motivation is important...for sure..!

'Gilly' prefered to avoid my advance to pick her up and look her over...Lol...I rounded her up later and made sure her Crop was full ( it was, ) and just did a little Hand-Nest time, which she was fine with, once into it.

'Persephone' the Bantam Hen is sleeping 7 feet up on a shelf...I have not turned the lights on yet...a little after 11:00 in the morning presently, delicious Peace-and-Quiet for now...and relatively 'dark' in here with just alitle filtered Sunlight coming in.

I'm amazed she can get up there, but I know she does it in stages, from lower places.

Soon as I turn the lights on, it gets very 'active' in here...Lol...Oh boy, and how...so it's nice to savor the Peace and Quiet when possible...

Phil
l v

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Motivation is important...for sure..!

'Gilly' prefered to avoid my advance to pick her up and look her over...Lol...I rounded her up later and made sure her Crop was full ( it was, ) and just did a little Hand-Nest time, which she was fine with, once into it.

'Persephone' the Bantam Hen is sleeping 7 feet up on a shelf...I have not turned the lights on yet...a little after 11:00 in the morning presently, delicious Peace-and-Quiet for now...and relatively 'dark' in here with just alitle filtered Sunlight coming in.

I'm amazed she can get up there, but I know she does it in stages, from lower places.

Soon as I turn the lights on, it gets very 'active' in here...Lol...Oh boy, and how...so it's nice to savor the Peace and Quiet when possible...

Phil
l v
What's up with the "unregisterd feral pigeon".?????:confused:

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Lol...

I'd forgot to sign in..

I did not think the Post had even gone-through.

Huh...

Phil
l v

Ummm........you can post without signing in??? I never sign out, so I don't know. I've seen a few posts today from "unregistered".........and some of them didn't sound like anything that Phil would post........guess that answers my question.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.