Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescued a pigeon named Rocky that is need of a home. We rescue him back in 2007, when I came home from work to find him hiding under my stairs dodging rocks that a group of children was through at him. I grab him away from the children and took him to our vet. Rocky's leg had 2 large lacerations and was in need of leg amputation. He need a round of antibiotics some weight gain before he could handle the surgery. After about 2 weeks of the antibiotics, he leg actually started to heal. So the doctor postpone the surgery. A month later the doctor was happy with the near full recovery. So he was healthy with one good and one slightly lame leg.
It's a good thing, because a year or so later when he was in his outdoor parrot cage, he was attacked by a wild rat that tore off his good leg. So now adays he hobbles on a stump and a lame leg. He get around very well and is very vocal. He is a little bit of a tough guy. But he also flaps his wings and coos when I come in the room, because he wants to be held.

The problem is my life style has changed since then. I am married with daughters and and we live in an apartment. Rocky lives in a small cage and I can tell he is not happy. I need to find him somewhere that can give him rocky and take care of him.
We like in San Clemente and can drive to you. Please help.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
what a great new home for Rocky !... four years ago he was saved thank goodness... I just do not understand kids and the rock throwing thing....what is wrong with these kids?... most folks raise their kids to respect and nurture... or do they?...anyway that was my bicker for the day....lol... hope all goes well for Rocky!:)

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
That's great,Terry. I know Rocky will be happy with you, maybe ge will also find a mate!

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I had the pleasure of meeting Robert and his lovely family tonight, and, of course, Rocky! I think Rocky will do just fine here and after he (we think) clears quarantine will be free to choose a friend or mate on his own. I will get some pictures posted and will try to keep things updated here in this thread.

Terry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Terry,

Thank you so much for taking our little guy in. It has been an adjustment getting used to the quiet. Sounds funny, huh? We used to go to bed with him cooing in the next room every night. Lily, our 2 1/2 year old, still doesn't really understand. She asks about him every night. We basically tell her that the baby pigeon that you showed us was his baby and that he had to go to his new house and take care of him. She actually understands that.
I know its asking alot but maybe we can be there to see Rocky meet the rest of your clan. I have always wanted to see him in a larger enclosure. If that is possible let me know so we can make plans.

Again, thanks for giving our friend a place where he can have more room to live and friends of his own.

Robert, Ashley, Lily, and Claire

·
Registered
241 Posts
Glad Rocky found a great home and seems to be surrounded by people who really love him. Even though he has had some rough times, he seems to be "living the good life" now. Which is great, he's a nice looking bird!

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Thanks, everyone! Robert, I will certainly let you know when it's time for Rocky to move in with the crew. He's got another couple of weeks in quarantine, but it's pretty cushy for him. He's in a Macaw/Cockatoo sized parrot cage and can see the others who are also in quarantine .. they just can't be together or integrated into the flock just yet. Rocky is definitely a Rocky and not a Rockette .. he is a roo-cooing, tail fanning maniac! I have a little white female racer across the aisle from him, and he's definitely got the hots for her. She will clear quarantine at about the same time as Rocky, so we will see if they pair up.

That's sweet that Lily asks about Rocky and that you've told her he is raising Baby Goggles. Baby Goggles is doing well and up to 63 grams in weight today!

Terry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Terry,

Just wanted to check in and see how Rocky is doing and to see if it is possible to come visit him.

I put my 2 1/2 y.o. daughter Lily to bed tonight. I heard her start to cry so I went up to find her standing in the middle of the room in the dark. I asked her what was wrong and she said "I sad". I asked her why and she said "Go see Rocky bird?". It was very cute to see that she misses him. I told her yes we will go see Rocky bird (if its ok). She turned and quickly climbed into bed and went back to sleep.

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is such a lovely story and what a lucky chap he is to have felt so much care in his life, well done to all involved :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts