Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two pigeons, and one recently started behaving strangely. He walks with a funny gait with his head tucked into his shoulders, and his droppings are wide and very greenish. He attempts to fly but can only lift several inches for a second before landing again. Neither of his wings seems to be broken.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong with him, or advice on what to do?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Other symptoms? Does he turn the neck upside down? Walking in circles? Is he eating in a funny way? Could be paramyxo virus or something else. Can you post a photo of his droppings.

Are they indoor or outdoor birds?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other symptoms? Does he turn the neck upside down? Walking in circles? Is he eating in a funny way? Could be paramyxo virus or something else. Can you post a photo of his droppings.

Are they indoor or outdoor birds?
Thanks for the reply. They are outdoor birds, but we keep them in either a coop or a screen porch. He doesn't turn the neck upside down or walk in circles, but he walks very awkwardly (like a pigeon). He is not able to fly. He can jump, but not very high. Please see pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Those are starvation droppings. He is either not eating, or if there are food in the crop then it's not digesting. He is probably not flying because he is weak. If the crop is empty, you can handfeed him defrosted green peas to keep him going until you can figure out what is wrong.

Take a flashlight and check deep inside the back of his throat for any yellow or white growths that can be a symptom of canker. Drinking excessive water, losing feathers on the breast and making rotating movements of the crop after eating are other symptoms.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We just fed him again, and he seems to eat fine. We checked his throat and did not see anything weird. He did lose some small feathers recently. Other than that we don't see other symptoms. If he has problem digesting, what can we do?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We just fed him again, and he seems to eat fine. We checked his throat and did not see anything weird. He did lose some small feathers recently. Other than that we don't see other symptoms. If he has problem digesting, what can we do?
btw, I'm also thinking maybe we haven't been feeding him enough? will that cause the weakness and greenish droppings?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
btw, I'm also thinking maybe we haven't been feeding him enough? will that cause the weakness and greenish droppings?
I also notice that although he is eating, he is having difficulty swallowing the pellets. Perhaps I should feed him softer food for now? any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
If he is not getting enough food, he will produce those droppings. Put down a mixture of seeds and let him eat. If the difficulty swallowing continues, he might have canker deeper inside the throat where it's not visible. You can add some apple cider vinegar to their drinking water two times a week. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. Helps with digestion and to keep the good gut bacteria in place.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
If he is not getting enough food, he will produce those droppings. Put down a mixture of seeds and let him eat. If the difficulty swallowing continues, he might have canker deeper inside the throat where it's not visible. You can add some apple cider vinegar to their drinking water two times a week. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. Helps with digestion and to keep the good gut bacteria in place.
I'll try your suggestions and see. thanks again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This morning I noticed he was eager to eat, but very quickly he stopped, waited a bit, and ate again. It seems like he might have difficulty digesting? do you think I should try feeding him something softer, like fruit or veggie? also we noticed he has puffy feet.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
If he keeps on producing those droppings, then something is wrong. Have you tried the apple cider vinegar? Can you get Nystatin for yeast and metronidazole for canker?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yes, I put the apple cider vinegar in his drinking water using the amounts you recommended.

If he keeps on producing those droppings, then something is wrong. Have you tried the apple cider vinegar? Can you get Nystatin for yeast and metronidazole for canker?
His droppings seem to be more solid now (I've attached a new pic). Both Nystatin and metronidazole seem like prescription drugs so I think we will need to see a vet to get them?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Looks as if there are a bit of undigested food in the droppings. A decent avian vet will be the best option. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A decent avian vet will be the best option.
We took him to an avian vet a few days ago. Thank you so much, Marina, that saved his life.

The vet diagnosed his problems as a bacterial infection and two different kinds of parasites. He said he wasn't sure our pigeon would make it, but gave us three types of antibiotics and formula, showing us how to tube feed him. Now our pigeon is recovering and getting better every day.

Just one more question. Do you have any suggestions on how to prevent parasites in the future?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Can you order Medpet products online in your country? Coccimed and Mediworm are good products. You won't be able to prevent parasites, but deworming them as a precaution will help.

Glad the problem is sorted and that he is getting better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can you order Medpet products online in your country? Coccimed and Mediworm are good products. You won't be able to prevent parasites, but deworming them as a precaution will help.

Glad the problem is sorted and that he is getting better.
This morning he seems to have gotten worse again. He was weak, and we saw the symptoms that you mentioned before -- he turned his neck upside down, and made rotating movements. We will keep feeding him antibiotics and formula as the vet suggested, although I wonder if we should also feed him more solid food like green peas? because he kept looking for something to eat. I will also see if I can get the products you mentioned. thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What antibiotics did the vet subscribed? Did he give an anti-fungal as well?
I believe these are the 3 meds :
Doxycycline
Fenbendazole
Albon

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fenbendazole is toxic for pigeons. You can stop giving that.
Ok, got it. any other suggestions? I also left the vet a voice mail earlier this morning and see what he says.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts