Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Just registered to ask a few questions. I've had Adolf(the pigeon) for almost a year now. I rescued him when he was just days old from a seagull. He couldn't even open his eyes or move lol anyway I managed to keep him healthy with the advice and help from my local pet shop. He sleeps in my flat overnight and in the mourning I let him out until about 6pm, he's in perfect routine and is very attached to me. When I say attached I mean doesn't leave me alone. He follows me to the car(often coming to the shops ect) he also sits at my kitchen window ALL day, I don't want to let him in because I figured he has to go off with other pigeons. I really need advice on what to do next. Do I stop feeding him? Do I still feed him and just not let him in? I'm completely lost now. He means a great deal to me, everyone said "just leave it" "it's a flying rat" and from the start everyone said it would die on me, it didn't so I treat it like gods gift lol (I know, sad) it's very healthy and EXTREMELY clever. Please leave your advice because i just want what's best for him.

Thanks.
Kyle.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I say Keep him!!! thats the best for him. continue what you doing the best thing for him, keeping him Healthy etc.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Probably he's too tame :/. I don't think he can go off. They are wonderful pets, as you have seen, though.
Next time you rescue one, you have to limit contact and interaction and release as soon as he's able to survive, if you want him to go :).
I think this one has been too long with you. Do you have hawks in your area?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're so right, he's a wonderful pet. And very tame, he LOVES the back of his head being rubbed lol and always wants to sit on me/be with me. I don't work so have a lot of time I just want what's right for him. If I've damaged him by keeping him then I'll have to keep things the same way. I live in Jersey so no, no hawkes or predators as such. I live close to the beach so I often take him down their to see his reactions to other places. Problem is he's such a softy he won't fly off he'll just get wet and sandy and walk behind me lol it really is the picture. Can I email someone his picture please? So you can upload it here? I'm still not 100 percent he's a he :) thanks again.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi Kyle jersey! Welcome to Pigeon Talk!

First of all it sounds like he has imprinted and you two have bonded quite well so..... I say keep him!

I adopted a feral baby pigeon last May after he fell from the nest and injured his wing and he is my little man. He is imprinted as well and follows me everywhere. He has a cage where he stays when I am at work but other than that he gets to fly free around the house/room. A large dog crate works great as a cage and you can easily add shelves to the crate for some roosting areas. Plus feeding one pigeon is a cinch! I buy all of Stanley's (thats my pidge) food at the grocery store while I am out shopping for mine so they are very easy to take care of. I can assure you that he will become a very devoted best friend if you take him in!

However, I would keep him only as an indoor bird bc although it may not seem like there are a lot of hawks/birds of prey around, there most likely are and an imprinted pigeon just hanging out alone makes for an easy target. I would hate to have you loose the little guy you love so much.

PS. I live only 40 minutes from Jersey and do have an extra dog crate that could easily be turned into a cage for him (or her :) so if you do decide to keep him, which you should!, and you need a crate or anything just let me know!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your quick reply. I really do want to keep him I just can't bare to see him stuck in my flat. I can tell he likes it outside so maybe I should just let him in and out when he wants? I live in Jersey UK, it's a small island so their possibly is birds of pray but overall I think he's safe. I just wonder is it better for him to detach from me or not? He's hopeless at finding actual food lol toilet paper and grit are usually on the menu :) also I can't believe how clever he is, for example he pecks the window for my attention and knows for a fact where I keep his food, he usually sits at the cupboard door making the pigeon noise(if that makes sense) he's only pooped indoors twice and that was my fault for letting him out late. Actually the more I talk about him the more I realise how special he is lol and yes, him on the beach is so so funny. Can someone tell me how to upload his picture please?

·
Registered
225 Posts
He is your gift, keep him! Your biggest worry may not be cats or birds of prey, it may be people. Not everybody likes Pigeons. But you have a whole flock of us here who LOVE them!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Set up a small/ mini loft, that will keep him safe!
Pigeons really love their independence, when they want it.
Join the Club! You are certainly Hooked!
Study All you Can about Pigeons, and Learn about all of the different kind of Pigeons, There was Even a Giant Pigeon at one time! (kinda like me, but he had a beak!:))
Keep asking questions, and welcome to the world of Pigeons. :cool:

·
Registered
115 Posts
well if it helps any they taste like chicken, no no i was just kidding don't eat him. i say keep him and let him bring you many more years of happiness, just try and keep an eye on him when outside. you wouldn't want anything to happen to your new friend =) by the way welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Keep him! and welcome to PT :)
Pigeons are extremely intelligent, and if he wanted to "detach" from you he would. He doesn't want to, he's bonded with you.
As others have stated - I wouldn't leave him outside unattended. Tame, trusting and alone makes him easy prey. He obviously enjoys your company - just accept it and keep him safe :)

G

·
your pigeon looks happy and healthy with you so why listen to any outside source when it is you who will know your little frend more then anyone one you will ever know;) treat him/her as you would any other living creature /friend and you wont go wrong ;)

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
People are just mean critters if you got rid of your little friend now you would always wonder if some kid got his dirty little hands on him. Not to say every body is that way but there is a bully in every crowd. He looks like a well cared for bird and could be a best friend for a lot of years to come.
Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts