Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been wanting to have a pet for a long time but never get the chance to and nobody wants me to. They were okay with pigeon when I told them that pigeon could wear diaper. They think animals poop a lot and is dirty. And I was suppose to show them that I could take care a good care of it to be able to have a pet. I never have a pet before and heard pigeon make good companion. It was hard to find any pigeon near by but I finally found one, took me like more than 2 month of searching. So I brought a pigeon, it's been 4 weeks now almost a month and there is no sign of improvement and I guess I made him lose my trust but he didn't trust me from the beginning anyway. I think the pigeon is a male don't know if he is young or an adult. Heard that the younger the pigeon will be more easier to adapt. When I first brought him he was of course scared and his poop was bad and liquid (Now poop is firm, I feed him grit and some good seeds) when he ate some food and rest, after that he was trying to escape like crazy and poking his head out and I was surprised (He stills do that, when he tries to escape his food spills out of the cage, the water and his poop also, he lives indoor in my room). At least on the first day after trying to pet him, he was a bit okay with it, and was able to eat off of my hand. Then when it was night time I covered the cage with a blanket, and he was cooing. The next morning I lift up the blanket, and he was still scare and then won't eat from hands anymore. Since I couldn't transfer him else where, I have to clean the inside cage by letting my hand enter in and slowly pick it out and wipe it out, he was staring at the hands (Now I just clean the inside by sliding out the pan and when finish slide it back in) I did try to pick him up though, to check on him, I don't know if he have any bugs and he smell like when you enter a chicken coop and recently I see him have a white something crawling on his back (He takes shower in his cage, I spray water on him) when he sees the hands his neck went high and eyes becomes huge. There was also that time 2 weeks ago when I sew a pigeon pant for him so he can get out of his cage, I try putting on him. It was his first time getting out and he just went to the corner trying to get it off, it was bad idea he hates the pigeon pant so I stop the pigeon pant, since having to change it so frequently having to go after him kind of thing. He was also shaking. He was grunting and growling at people when they enter my room and hands. When I appoarch him I make sure to put my hands behind my back, except for when I have to clean and feed him. When I was going to buy a pigeon I was just thinking of just buying a small cage for him to sleep in and he won't stay in the cage. I don't think he will be happy being in his cage for his entire life. And I don't know when he will be okay. I could feed and clean him but I don't know anything about pigeon and there is few information. So now I am watching him like an aquarium. I guess it's understandable he used to live with the other pigeons until he got sold out and it's natural for them to act that way for survival. I kind of feel bad because I couldn't give the pigeon a good home where he feels safe and comfortable. As well as letting the both of us have a good experience of each other.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Your pigeon must be terrified. You removed him from his flock and now he is staying inside a room where he was probably kept outside in an aviary.

I know you mean well, but surely the pigeon's feelings are more important than what you want at this point. A human can never replace the companionship of another pigeon. If he is a male, he must be craving the companionship of a female.

Do you own a house, apartment or flat? I suggest you build an aviary and get him a female. You can still spend time with both of them and gaining their trust. You can even attach an aviary to the wall where you're window is, so the window opens into the aviary. That way you will have two happy pigeons and still enjoy their company.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am not a expert (Marina knows a lot more than me) and I hope you will find a good solution for the bird.
It is not very clear where you did get the pigeon from? Is it a fancy pigeon? Unfortunately lots of pet shops don't take care properly of the animals, they just make money with it. Maybe the bird is not tame and was not used to be handled frequently, explaining why he is so scared.
You have to be very patient to make him trust you! A bird is not a cat or a dog. Any pigeon cannot become a pet, only a pigeon which has been hand raised. Looks like it is not the case of your pigeon, who is probably more adapted to an aviary with other pigeons.

Maybe you should try to let him free out of the cage in a safe room where he can perch in height (on a cupboard, a door, a bar...) and let him explore the place without forcing him to interact with you, so he will feel safer after a while. You can cover all the furniture with tarpaulins or sheets. But you will soon notice the birds poop regularly at only a few places, usually their favorite perching places! You will need lots of toilet paper but if you clean the poop regularly it won't smell nor be dirty.

Be careful of the windows (if there are no curtains he could fly against the glass and hurt himself until he knows he cannot get through)

Put him his food, water, bath and everything he needs and don't force him to physical contact for a while. You can remain in the room, and do your activities (he will watch for sure!), talk to him gently sometimes and approach only your head without forcing him to be touched.

At night he will be sleeping quietly anyway so he doesn-t need to be locked in. You can provide a simple cardboard box put in height and in a dark and calm place. He will probably go by himself when it is bed time. But he will wake up early, that's maybe why some pigeons owners put them in a cage during the night?

But I think pigeons aren't pets like cats and dogs who naturally appreciate cuddle.
Be aware that to be touched is something very unnatural and frightening to birds as they are natural prey!
I did something with a pigeon I took care of: each time I needed to move him in the other room, I encouraged him to jump on a board so I did not need to catch him. I just carried the board with the pigeon on it. After a while, he trust me and jumped easely on the board as he knew I would not touch him during this and nothing unpleasant was going to happen.

Birds have very specific needs, they need to have bird partners, enough room and entertainment and are very emotional. You can watch the video channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNmBOBrpK5WhnXRenbPk01w
A pigeon, although quite easy and not expensive to care for, is a very athletic bird that is not happy all alone is a small place.

Please don't let him the whole day in the cage and keep us updated!

·
Registered
73 Posts
"something crawling on his back ": he probably has some parasites like lots of birds do. It is not urgent but maybe you should get a product specific to birds to treat him.
And also provide him some green food for vitamins (for example sprouded lentils they really enjoy and that you can grow yourself)

you could also provide him a mirror, the pigeon I took care of was crazy about the mirror and spent lots of times and slept near it! he felt relieved when he saw his image!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard that there were many pigeons who are in needs of a home, I can't get them from a rescuer though.
Well people wouldn't think of pigeon as pet but as food. I did some research they are intelligent and has help people delivered messages during the world war, they could tell the difference
between a Mozart and Picasso, and the thing is they can't really survive by themselves in the wild. It was hard to find pigeons in my area, it was an hour long drive when I went to buy him.
They sell the pigeons breeds depending, they also sell roosters, chicks, small birds, bunny, and I saw a duck, they also sell cages, and feeds but I brought all the materials online
(I feed him Versele-Laga Traditional Pigeon Food and red grit from des moines feed also heard that adding a bit of apple cider
vinegar in their water is good for them, I am thinking of trying to give him peanuts) I am not sure about the gender but I heard male coo more than female,
he is a pied rock pigeon, (I originally wanted a fancy pigeon but you can only find from breeders who breed them).
I don't think outdoor would be safe, it is summer so it's getting hot outdoors and when night falls it would be cold. There are raven and crows flying, soaring, gliding up in the sky
(So one time the raven flew to our nearest tree next to my window and my window was opened widely and the pigeon could see it, I do have curtains, so I close
the window), there might also be hawk, also once saw a crow ate a small bird while the other bird had to watch it because they couldn't save it, there was a cat that can come through
our backyard and one time I put my pigeon outdoor to get sunlight (my pigeon is still scare of me so I decided to just lookout the window) the cat went toward him and I guess the cat saw me through the window and left as I go outside, outside have spiders and little insects bugs creatures what if they crawl on him, I once found some ant on his food even when he was
indoor so I throw the whole seeds away, our next door neighbor have dogs, squirrels climbing onto trees (The pigeon and the squirrels made
eye contact with each other) Since it's almost July people are constantly doing fire works and sometimes when it's not even
near forth of July. One time our neighbor were doing bbq I think and the flame was so huge that the smoke was pouring through our
window and house, thankfully it was at a time I didn't have the pigeon yet. I know bird mate for life but I cannot unfortunately
give it a mate or a bigger cage because it's expensive and I don't have money. I don't have a job and I am still young, but I couldn't
wait until I get older. I like animals but I don't know what it's like to actually have one in your house, I do prefer if they were free though, and would it terrified me or would it take a lot
of work? Maybe I am just indeed unexperienced, and not ready. And I feel like someone else could do so much better than me. All I could do at the moment is do the best I could. I only
hope that time will tell.

Well when you say that, I think it will require a strong trusting bond, just like how a man can be able to be near a tiger, or how a pairing of animals
don't usually go together and somehow comes together, I saw a youtube video of a chihuahua and a pigeon they were inseparable, or how a feral bird can eat
from the hand of a human, and so on.

I don't know anything about him, he does come from an egg though, don't know if they personally feed them or let their parents do it, he have a flock that looks like him, and
maybe he already has a mate, all those questions unknown.

From what I see he does like his food, he would eat the smaller ones before the bigger ones like the corn and peas would last be finished. I do use napkin to cover the pan so I could remove it a little more easier. He tuck his leg under his wing, lay down, preen himself, stretch his wings and leg, he does not peck or attack, he is just afraid. Only if he knew when his fear is gone, we are not
hurting him, and he doesn't have to feel threatened or harm, he would do fine with us we could keep him company well maybe not as well as a pigeon itself but I have all the time for him.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thank you so much for the update!
Well, having a new pet (of any species) is at the same time very exciting and exhausting!
Pigeons are very interesting, clever, beautiful and loving animals, although birds are probably not the easiest pets to start with. They are very emotional and easely frightened. They have lots of predators indeed. You are right, outdoor isn't safe at all, especially for a domestic bird.

You have both to learn to know each other! This takes time. Be patient. Putting him the diaper on was too early probably. You cannot expect he appreciates cuddle and perching on your shoulder strait await, if he ever will, but who knows? But watching him doing happily his pigeons things will be so rewarding!
First he needs to get very used to his new environnement and to your contact and have good experiences with you. 1 month is not that much! He also really needs to exercice a couple of hours each day (that's why I let the feral pigeon I took care of live and fly free in my room, it was messy but happy for both of us!).

Watch some video channels (like The Crazy Pigeon Lady, you will learn how to coo and to hold a pigeon properly, so he feels safe when you handle him)
Search the forum, you will learn lots of useful information! this is the best information resource I've seen on pigeons!

I am sorry I cannot help you further as I never actually tamed a pigeon (I only take care of a few ferals). Please don't feel bad and desperate, you are doing your best and it will improve for sure!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts