Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi , I have a ill pigeon , a old friendly rooster , I really donot wish to put him down ,he has no balence and falls over and cannot get on this feet without my help, can someone please assist me with a cure ???

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
HI Rooster10954, sorry to hear your old fellow is having a hard time of it. Was this sudden on set, or has he slowly gotten worse, besides the balance problem any other symptoms, is he eating and drinking, any other birds showing any sign of illness, how's his weight, what do his droppings look like, has he lost the ability to fly as well, could you please post up a photo of him and a photo of his recent droppings, do you have any meds on hand, if not would it take you long to get some if needed?

Good luck with him,

Karyn

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi Rooster,

As Karyn says...

Get him into his own small Cage or BOx with look-our-holes, line the bottom with white Paper Towels.

This way you can see the poops and see what is going on a lot better.

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi guys ,illiness apeearded one day , he could not stay on his perch , he would fall off , i have him in a closed nesting box , dropping look like regular dropping ,last week i thought he was recovering , I would let him out on the floor to eat by himself ,yesterday I hand feed him to keep this strength up, he can fly but not very well , its like hes dizzy and stumbles and rolls on his back and cannot get back up without my help, if I let him loose the other pigeons wil pick at him , what meds should I try affraid it might be contagoius ?
I hate to loose him as he a handsome real giant with a big crust .
please advise, rooster10954

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Rooster10954, I would start him on Baytril, if you have it, 20mg/kg, once a day. However,, most people don't have this drug around, so if he could be started on a sulfa drug, like that is in Sulmet or Albon we should do that ASAP, most farm and feed stores stock these. Also, if you have a vet, I would take him in today and get him started on appropriate meds.

With the Albon or Sulmet, the instructions are to mix these in water, but because of the need to get good amount of meds into him as quickly as possible we can give him a small dose by mouth for a few days to get the drug in his system built up. We will need a 1cc syringe, or at least an eyedropper to do this.

Karyn

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Keep him quiet and isolated. Keep up the hand feeding.

Could you get an avian vet to examine him? Either by examination or X-ray he might be able to tell whether there is something physical that can be corrected that is causing him to fall over. Our Star had fatty growths on his breast, he became unable to fly, he also waddled as he walked and was inclined to fall on his back.

We have had a lot of illness in the aviary but most of them had suspicious poops, of the two that didn't (both died) one PM showed egg yolk peritonitis and the other a tumour on the spleen that ruptured.

The vet suggested Baytril and Flagyl for one sick bird and she recovered so we have been using that combination as a silver bullet when our birds become ill. So far only one of the ones treated with that combination only one (a juvenile woodie) died...the three deaths from suspected infections have been woodies, I am convinced that their immune systems are more fragile than ferals.:(

Cynthia

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi guys , my old bird seems to ralley and inprove and then relapses where can Ithe order drugs ?

I have several mice , wondering if they bought the illiness with him ????

any help would be appreciated , its getting cold here and he could not survivve the winter in his current condition and I really hate to put him down

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Still waiting for the images...

Also, is the Bird inside, with supplimental warmth, and beng under observation?

If you want to figure this out, you need to be participating in supplying the details, and following the suggestions given.

Just asking over and over what the illness is, while providing no real info or details, or doing nothing for supportive care and observation, is just not enough for anyone to go on to help you.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
hi guys , my old bird seems to ralley and inprove and then relapses where can Ithe order drugs ?

I have several mice , wondering if they bought the illiness with him ????

any help would be appreciated , its getting cold here and he could not survivve the winter in his current condition and I really hate to put him down
If you mean you have mice in the loft...certainly he could have become ill form eating food or water they may have contaminated with their droppings. If so, your other birds are at risk as well.
Please do bring him inside and keep him warm. Support him with hand feeding.
You say he is old...how old is that?
We can tell you where to order medications but please let us know what country you live in so we can direct you to the closest supply.
The suggestion of a vet that treats birds is a very good one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys , here are two pictures of my old rooster , as you can
in the second photo he rolls over and cannot right himself ( get up )

please advise,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hi pdpbison, the rooster appears to improve and then become ill again , does not have alot of strength attempts to fly only crashes into objects. when well he will feed himself only lasts a couple of days , rooster

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I don't mean to be to hurt your feelings or alienate you but have you not gotten the message that you need to bring him inside, keep him warm and hand feed him?
You have been asked questions and offered advise that may save Rooster but you seem to ignor it or are slow to respond ... all the while poor Rooster is the one suffering. Obviously...what you are repeating thus far is not working and you need a differnt approach
In addition...you need to order the medicine, the link of which I posted.
There is absolutely no need for him to die unless you let that happen

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
How we doin' with the poop images?

Isd there any dor to his Vent area or and or poops?

Any odor to his breath if you have his Beak 'open' and your nose right there into his open Beak?

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Just get him to a vet ... no amount of guesswork is going to fix the problem, and it isn't likely to fix itself

John

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
He is sick, and not going to get better without Meds. Charis posted a link, and Feefo told you about Baytril and Flagyl (Metronidazole). Can you buy Meds for him? He really should be taken to a vet.

Do you have mice getting in your loft? You need to keep rodents out, or they will make your birds VERY sick.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts