Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a young pigeon on the side of the road with it's wings fully expanded sitting upright on its tail. So I brought him home. Obviously there is something wrong with his feet because he/she cannot even be in a normal position. For the first night I put him in a towel doughnut so his feet wouldn't touch the floor. He was fine like that for a few hours but when I checked on him the next day, he was again in an odd painful looking position. Now he won't go back into the doughnut position. He begins to panic and flap his wings even before I actually set him down. I've had to lay him on his back for the past 2 days. I know this isn't ideal but he won't remain in any other position. Also, he barely eats anything I give him(seeds, crumbs). I suppose it's the position. What should I do?? The nearest avian rehab center is 4 hours away. None of the vets in my area will take him. I just want him to be treated, I can care for him until he's healed. What can I do to help him?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
You should semi-suspend him so as to stay up from ground but to touch the ground with the legs.

You should make a sort of leash for this, comprised of a harness and a string. Making the harness the proper way is important: it should not impede his movements or stress the wings' joints.

Here are two models created by me, you should make one adjusted to your pigeon's size and you can improve it. The big hollow is for head, the two smaller hollows for legs. One of the harnesses has a suplimentary hollow for tail (take care to not cover the vent):

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.