Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, coming from SoCal. So I found this pigeon that decided to make a nest in my mushroom basket. It laid 2 eggs so far and I don't know anything about pigeons. I shooed the bird away, but I realized that there were 2 fresh white eggs in the nest. I'm not that heartless so I left it alone. The pigeon comes back and forth and I don't mind it at all anymore. Anything I should do?

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Put some more nesting material around her nest--Doe she have a mate? Cock sits on the eggs in the day--her at night.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not even sure I don't really bother to check, but I should. What is the difference between a male and female pigeon?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
because they are new eggs, you can always throw them out and remove the basket so they can not go back to it to nest.. they will move on and find another spot. if the eggs are older, then of course you may feel bad if there is a developed chick inside. but that would have to be your Choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I decided not to be an a** and left the birds there and the egg finally hatched. The chick is UGGLLYY!!! This is kind of cool though. Never had seen a bird gone through a life cycle in my entire life.

EDIT: I didn't put that piece of bread there by the way...

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Good for you!!! It is exciting to see them being raised, and the babies sure are ugly in an almost cute way. :p They will raise the babies in the next six weeks or so it will take them to learn to fly and then they'll be on their own. BUT the mom will generally lay another two eggs when these babies are around two weeks old and the dad will take over most of the care. If you don't want babies upon babies upon babies being born in your mushroom basket, you can simply take the eggs when they're laid and toss them. A dish of fresh water would be most welcome. You can clean out the basket and put in fresh newspapers/paper towels in a day or so to keep it clean and sanitary for you and for the birds, if you so desire. They won't abandon the baby if you touch it or anything. :p Good luck and enjoy!! Please ask any questions you may have.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Not ugly...a fine looking baby, 'tis !

OK...you didn't put that bread there.....do you think the parents ordered some take-out somewhere ???? (!) ;)

Seriously...thanks for letting them be and (unwittingly) providing them with a safe nest.

This baby looks to be about 7-10 days old or so. The parents will keep returning to feed it several times/day.

It will not fledge until about 40+ days (cannot survive in the wild if it leaves nest before 40 days)...but it may start hop-flying at about 30+ days.

Just be sure that the basket is in a safe place away from predators (cats, dogs, hawks, rats, raccoons and such. I dunno if you ever see hawks in your area...but if you have seen some...keep an eye on the vicinity now and again. The small species hawks tend to "case the joint" for several days if not weeks trying to find nests and feeding areas. Also, shoo away any Corvids (crows, ravens) who might seem interested; although after about 3 weeks old that wouldn't be an issue any longer).
The baby is very defenseless at the moment and, being unflighted, has no way to flee danger.

Just check to see the parents keep coming back to him/her. They will sit the baby until about 2-2.1/2 weeks old, at which point they may find a spot overlooking the nest to keep an eye on her/him, but not actually sit much after that.

Thanks for sharing ! It'll be interesting to see if baby has same pretty markings as mom/dad.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Please do keep an eye out on the little guy as predators come in many forms.

The parent bird is absolutely lovely, this little one is too!

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
I'm not even sure I don't really bother to check, but I should. What is the difference between a male and female pigeon?
Hi SO IT IS; The male will sit the eggs from about 10am to 4PM the rest of the time the hen will sit the eggs.The color of this bird looks to be a dilute carring spread some people would call it a Silver Dun (color)I sure would like that bird in my loft. I see a nice fat healthy young bird take pleasure in this experance, and thank you for giving these birds a chance to do their thing.Where are you in Southern California, The San Diego Metro Pigeon club has a meeting/show saturday April 3 12 noon to 4PM,at the Linda Vista Recreation Center, 7064 Levant St.,San Diego,CA.,92111-6011 we have a small show that you might enjoy and you will some pigeons that look very different from what most people see in shopping centers and parks. By the way I live in Oceanside . Hope you can come to our meeting/show. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm in Long Beach CA by the way and sorry, but I don't really have any interest in birds honostly haha oh and don't worry about any predators. There's too much hustle and bustle in the city for them to be lurking anywhere.

well here's another pic if him or her.. The parents don't seem to stay around much anymore. It made clicking sounds when I went to take a picture of it. I'll take that as a threat... Pretty brave for a dork :D

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Looks very healthy and bright-eyed. Also has a nice, full crop in that picture.

Just keep an eye that her/his parents are still stopping by regularly to sit and feed. Even at this age....they usually shouldn't be left alone for more than a few hours tops, and the parents (or at least - a parent) should still always be spending the night close to her.

How's the evening temp. down there ?

That's OK if you are not actually a 'bird person'. Just wanna say thanks for being cool, concerned, and interested.... you are observing and experiencing something few people get to see or even bother to think about.

·
Registered
441 Posts
AndSoItIs...I'm sorry but I think your 'pigie in a basket' is a real cutie. I think he needs a little kiss...hehehe :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And so it grew feathers and became uglier! :D

He's growing up too fast :( That's too bad, I was just getting fond of him..

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Very healthy looking baby !!!! - hmmmmm - wonder if those feathers are gonna be the hue of mom - is the basket elevated on a table or anything ? Have his\her parents moved off of sitting on her yet ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The basket is on top of an old storage shelf on my patio. The parents stop sitting on it now and I rarely see them. They're still probably taking good care of him though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts