Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my pigeon laid a thin shelled egg wednesday night. has not been able to walk properly. gave her calcium suppliment. but she still remains the same..i could not feel any egg near the vent. i spoke to my vet about giving a calcium injection but he says its risky. he says he can give multivitamin inj. can someone help regarding this.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
yes the supliment im giving has d3 . calcium-100mg phosphorus-50mg magnesium-5mg vit d3- 50 iu. is tht ok. is it ok to massage her legs.
Is it liquid, powder, tablet, human grade and how much are you giving her and when?

She may not be absorbing it or she may need a more easily absorbable kind. She should also be getting some B complex.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If you are just adding it to the drinking water then she may not be getting enough. You can buy calcium tablets for people with D3 in them and break up to the correct dosage and feed it to her individually.

250mg and vitamin D = 125 IU.
Break them into 1/4 pills and give 1/4 in the morning and evening for 2 days and 1/4 a day for 3 days after.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are just adding it to the drinking water then she may not be getting enough. You can buy calcium tablets for people with D3 in them and break up to the correct dosage and feed it to her individually.

250mg and vitamin D = 125 IU.
Break them into 1/4 pills and give 1/4 in the morning and evening for 2 days and 1/4 a day for 3 days after.
the composition i mentioned, im giving 0.5 ml 2 times a day by syringe. is that enough or should i increase.
which kind of calciium tablets of humans can i give her. composition should have which type of calcium?
thanks

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That should be okay twice a day. I wouldn't increase it.
In the human tablets it would have oyster shell calcium.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks.. she improved. i gave her a homepatthy calcium tablet too n cuprum metallicum 30c. And applied rhus tox on her legs & gave heat compress to the legs. there was immediate improvement that day. so dont know which worked.
the supliment im giving is for animal use ie dogs n cats.
btw for future refrence the amount & composition u have mentioned.(calcium=250mg and vitamin D = 125 IU) is the the composition of the human tablet of what it should be. any one has an idea if the human one can be given to cockatiels also if yes 1/16th of a tab is fine?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Glad she is doing better. She should receive extra calcium and D3 or she may have the problem again. They do sell calcium supplements to be given once or twice a week. Don't over do it though, as that can cause harm too.

As far as cockatiels, that amount may be okay, but don't really know about their needs. You should google them and their needs and learn more of what they need on a daily/weekly basis.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
CalciBoost (Calcivet) works well for me, but there are different ones. Just look for something in the pigeon supply places that have the vitamin D3 in them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.