Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Now that's a loft. What breed(s) do they have?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
You are aware that there are literally millions of birds who are born, raised, bred, raise young, and die, all within the confines of a cage. Whether they are canarys, finches, parakeets, cockatiels, all breeds of parrots, doves, pigeons, etc. Whether they are raised in small cages, large cages, aviaries, lofts, barns, or whatever, they are in some form of confinement. Some birds like homers, rollers, tipplers, and other performing breeds are lucky enough to be let out to fly. But when they are done performing, they are confined to keep them safe.

Others such as Fantails, Jacobins, and many others would not survive long if let loose. Doves are another species that should never be released.

Many birds are allowed to fly in the owners home. But even this is a form of confinement. Birds that are raised in cages do not know the difference. In fact, birds kept in cages that escape have been known to hurt themselves because they literally do not know what to do. It's just a fact of life. If the minimum space requirements per bird are met, the cages are clean and the birds get fresh food and water, vet care, etc. they are not being harmed per se. The only thing I see missing is a chance for natural sunlight.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hey, hey! stop. Look when birds are kept in a cage they get used to it. They think it is home after a while. You may think its small and terrible, but the birds might think its paradise. Food, space requirements met, water, clean cage, maybe even a fly once in a while. The thing is we are not the birds & we don't think like them, so know one can't really know what's it like. And that is an uptight loft. Must have beautiful pigeon breeds from what I can see, keep up the good work! :)

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Is there a certain light bulb that can be used for sunlight? I think they use them to grow weed. We have to have a special bulb for our iguana and if you don't use it it will not grow.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Is there a certain light bulb that can be used for sunlight? I think they use them to grow weed. We have to have a special bulb for our iguana and if you don't use it it will not grow.
I'm sorry but I have no experince for lizzards, but for pigeons in the winter they need about 14 hours of 'sunlight' for them to lay. That is all I can say sorry.:( There is a type of bulb but I can't remember the name

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Shadybug - Yes, there are special lights used to grow weed. How do you know about them?:rolleyes: I'm not sure they take the place of sunlight, but they come very close. I think the concern is for vitamin D production for pijjies???? And I guess I can accept the story about your lizard.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Solar simulators are close to natural sunlight Full Spectrum they have visible purple to blueish light, UV and Infrared, they are used in labs for testing products and as therapy for sleep disorders. When used for therapy these lights have a filter to block some UV. Solar simulator have lamps that include use of xenon, metal halide, l.e.d. and quartz tungsten halogen.

Broad or wide spectrum have visible light with little or no UV.

Grow lights have a particular color for the photosynthesis, You can buy a high output fluorescent bulbs, blue is cool white at 6500k for foliage and red is warm white at 3000k for flowers and fruits, use them in pairs this way they create close to wide spectrum light. Cycles are 24 hours, 20hrs and 16hrs, at 12hrs the plants start going dormant. Natural light goes thru color cycles as the seasons change.

Reptile lights have UVB, this produces Vitamin 3D in iguanas, without it they become sick and die. Sunlight has 6-8% UVB, reptile bulbs 5-7% UVB. Light position over iguana 12-18" change every 6-8 months even when they look like they are working they loose strength. There are also screw in bulbs that offer heat and UVB those are used in breeding facility's at the zoos, those lights work great last longer and only have to power one.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Instead of making the loft look like a factory of some sort, why not add a few windows (glass and all) to one end of the wall and let natural sunlight come through?

Add a few indoor plants for oxygen, add a few toys and wooden perches in the cages so the birds have something play with... instead of them staring at the bars all day.

It's the QUALITY of life that matters.

In cages and lofts, these birds are well fed and their health is taken care of, so we just need to make their lives a little more exciting by providing these little things. It won't cost much for a few indoor plants and perches.

The point is to treat every living thing with respect.

·
Registered
225 Posts
From indoor growing I know grow lights. The cool white floro. produces a very small amount of UV but no way near enough for vitamin D production. Metal halide is about the same as cool white just produces alot more lumens for you power being used. The 12 mark for plants going dormant is wrong. It truely depends on type of plant. If you are growing lettuce in the house you only need 10-12 hours of light. Longer light periods make it stop growing and flower. The weed that was mentioned slows growth and starts flowering when the light goes below 12 hours. That is 2 different types of plants. One is a spring early summer bloomer and the other is a fall blooming plant. Never thought my plant and soil science college courses would be used in a pigeon forum, LOL.

The pigeons need a UV bulb like the reptile bulb if they can not get alteast 6 hours of natural light. For parrots we use the same bulb you use for reptiles as long a it is not the heat and uv bulb.

As to the confinement, I agree they need to have room to stretch there wings a bit more. If they are allowed to fly in the whole space from time to time then hey would be fine. For a pair of pigeons I think the minuim cage space should 4 feet cubed. Like I keep fantails in a 3 feet tall 3 feet from front to back but 6 foot long. 2 pair share this pen with a nest on each end. they need room to move around.

·
Registered
624 Posts
With my pigeon we have our loft inside the barn so to bring in sunlight we open the barn door. Are loft is quite big considering we only have 2 pigeons :D

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If they are kept in those cages all the time, then it is awful. No one can say that they are happy like that. I don't care if they don't know anything else. That is not even having a life. That is being treated like a thing, not a living creature. All living animals and birds need to be able to move around and do things other than stand there in a cage and be used for breeding. Pigeons have minds and are smart, and they have nothing for enrichment. Just stand there and breed. Anyone who can try and justify that, is viewing them as not having a brain or needs. That's sad.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with you !!
Thank you. I'm glad someone else doesn't look at a pigeon as an inanimate thing, with no wants or needs...............or brains.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I See Who's Who Now

If they are kept in those cages all the time, then it is awful. No one can say that they are happy like that. I don't care if they don't know anything else. That is not even having a life. That is being treated like a thing, not a living creature. All living animals and birds need to be able to move around and do things other than stand there in a cage and be used for breeding. Pigeons have minds and are smart, and they have nothing for enrichment. Just stand there and breed. Anyone who can try and justify that, is viewing them as not having a brain or needs. That's sad.
THANK YOU GLAD OTHER PEOPLE SEE THIS .. THIS IS TOTALY WRONG TO TREAT A LIVING THING LIKE THAT!! THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY... I'M DONE WITH THIS TOPIC

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Drama, Drama, Drama!:confused:

You all have jumped on the bandwagon that this is a terrible life for these birds without knowing anything about the actual operation. The picture was posted without any other information. Based on the picture alone, there is no way that any of us know what the story is behind the picture.

The birds are obviously healthy. The cages look big enough for the birds to move around and stretch their wings. The cages are clean(cleaner than some I have seen in albums on PT), there appears to be food and water offered. The room itself is very clean and well lit. It is a great looking"loft" in the terms of the birds being well cared for and having their"immediate"needs met.

If this is permanent housing then there are concerns. But we don't know that!! I appreciate all the concerns stated, and I would share them if they were based on facts that are not presented here.

We don't know if it's a quarantine room for new birds, a breeder room, or whatever. Please do not make judgement calls, or act out against others, based solely on a picture.:confused:

As far as seeing who's who, some of you need to post with facts in hand, not with emotions only. If my views cause anyone to think less of me, so be it. At least my views are based on just the picture, and not based on ideas not in evidence.:(

1 - 20 of 41 Posts