Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Insect netting

Hi fellow members and guests,

One more point I would like to add is the importance of adding mesh screen in front of your hardware cloth. This screen material is available in grey and black metal type, and a soft fiberglass roll is also available and can be found at most home improvement stores.It is easy to cut.

A roll can cost about $7.00 or so, and come in various lengths and widths and can be secured with tacks over the hardware cloth, and can be easily removed after the mosquito season, which can run from mid Spring to early Fall.

I also keeps out other pests such as flies and bees or wasps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do you build your own

I had wanted to build my own but what exactly does loft look like

Marie

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I had wanted to build my own but what exactly does loft look like

Marie
Marie, If you will type in racing pigeons or racing pigeon lofts or pigeon lofts in your search engine, you'll get lots of web sites with pictures. Lofts can be VERY elaborate and or VERY simple. Depends on your skill as a carpenter, your budget and what you plan to do.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I always had an idea for a loft. I am thinking of finding an older flatbed trailer, floored with wood. Such as the ones used to pull four wheelers etc, about 14 x 7. You could knock out a few wood slats four a grated floor under the perches. Then you could build a loft on the trailer, attached soundly to the base. You could build removable aviaries when you want to move the loft. This loft could be fully movable just by putting air in the tires and hooking up to the loft. You could skirt it when set up to hide the undercarriage and wheels. You could build an aviary around the neck of the trailer. Just an idea that I always have had.
Randy

·
Registered
941 Posts
http://www.redroselofts.com/starter_loft.htm
I plan to build a loft based on " Steve Ribaudo's " Build, looks good, will start with a small 8x8 like that and then later hopefully add on for a young bird loft! Although i must say i did change things around alot to make it into what i needed ( inside loft storage for misc items)!

Red rose loft has many good ideas to consider i highly recommend visting their site for information!

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I always had an idea for a loft. I am thinking of finding an older flatbed trailer, floored with wood. Such as the ones used to pull four wheelers etc, about 14 x 7. You could knock out a few wood slats four a grated floor under the perches. Then you could build a loft on the trailer, attached soundly to the base. You could build removable aviaries when you want to move the loft. This loft could be fully movable just by putting air in the tires and hooking up to the loft. You could skirt it when set up to hide the undercarriage and wheels. You could build an aviary around the neck of the trailer. Just an idea that I always have had.
Randy
Hello Randy,

Our combine race secretary built just what you described. I'm not sure that it is that much different then a WWI or II pigeon corps type of mobile loft. Although for as often as a loft needs to be moved, a modular design which can be taken apart and relocated, may work just as well. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
271 Posts
starter loft

Need plans for a nice inexpensive loft . . .? Go to the following addy . . .click the link that says starter loft, and check out their plans . . .also examples of other folk who followed the design with some variations.. 'ats how i build my loft . . nad I must say I'm quite happy with it abisai

http://members.aol.com/pioneerloft/#

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I would recommend that you widen the loft a bit for more room. Go to lovebirds loft and look at their widowhood loft. This would also give you a good idea for a breeding loft with two section. You could put an aviary below the aviary with the trap to help you separate birds. When and if I build another loft I will most likely use this design built on the top of a car type trailer. This way it would be mobile.
Randy

·
Registered
6 Posts
I modified these plans to make a small "kit" type loft.

http://www.uplandbirddog.com/training/loft.html

Here's my result:

I've made a few changes since the photo was taken but it's pretty much the same. I don't use bottom doors like the plans suggest and I have only had one "problem" (I think it was a cat). I'll fix that once the weather gets a bit warmer.

Here's some rough plans I drew up:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is this loft big enough?

Is this loft/cage big enough for two un-releasable pigeons? It is 4'Dx 2'Wx 3'H. The enclosed box part is 2'Dx 2'W. I currently have one female feral, over the hump with PMV, that cannot fly without crashing. She may enjoy life more with company, and I wonder if another like pigeon, preferably female, would fit. Suggestions or thoughts welcomed.
Tati

http://homepage.mac.com/seaeddy/Pigeon/PhotoAlbum5.html

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Is this loft/cage big enough for two un-releasable pigeons? It is 4'Dx 2'Wx 3'H. The enclosed box part is 2'Dx 2'W. I currently have one female feral, over the hump with PMV, that cannot fly without crashing. She may enjoy life more with company, and I wonder if another like pigeon, preferably female, would fit. Suggestions or thoughts welcomed.
Tati

http://homepage.mac.com/seaeddy/Pigeon/PhotoAlbum5.html
ahhh that is cute!...I think another would be fine in there if they got along well and you may need to clean it more often, but it is right at the limit for 2 I would think...can the pigeon get up to a perch? if so that would be a good thing to put in there, if not, a brick to sit on would help and her nails would get filed down from getting on the brick...she would most likely benifit from having a pigeon companion....good luck:)

·
Registered
948 Posts
I know what you mean

Hello All,

I highly suggest if one is interested in building a loft, that you forget shed designs. I certainly would never pay for shed designs !

You can go onto the AU website at : http://www.pigeon.org/sclofts1_05.htm
and see some showcase lofts, or even enter pigeon loft design into your search engine and find all kinds of links for lofts.
I know what you mean they don't look like aviaries or lofts at all..

21 - 40 of 56 Posts