Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I found a pigeon on the street... it's full grown, plump but just not normal, ie, it doesn't fly when you chase it... it slowly hops away or stands really still in a corner. It just looks depressed... its poop is totally watery and white. Gave it bread and water but looks untouched.

Is it sick? What do I do with it?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
It could be that you have a young Pigeon that doesn't know how to eat on it's own yet. That could also be why it doesn't fly.
Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Here are some feeding instructions. Even if you do have an adult bird, it may not recognized bread as food. A 4 week old Pigeon will look like an adult one, to an individual that hasn't been around Pigeons much.

If you are seeing bright green poop, it could be the bird isn't eating enough on his own and may need to be hand fed. It also could be ill. Often the young birds will try to eat the seed and so folks assume they are eating when they really aren't.
It would be great if you could post a picture of the poop so we can give you a better opinion.
You can hand feed defrosted corn and peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. That confines them without hurting them and makes it easier to handle. If he is wrapped in towel he wont be able to struggle much.Gently open the beak and pop the piece of corn and peas at the back of the mouth and over the throat.
You will need to feed 40-50 per feeding and every time the bird’s crop empties until you know it is eating on their own.
This is a wonderful method for teaching babies to eat because they feel the whole food in their mouth and it’s soft and easy to pick up and hang on to. The next step… seeds.
The crop is located right below the throat and with food it fills up like a little balloon. The peas and corn make it lumpy and squishy.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Charis, I think it's an adult, as she mentioned in the other thread that it's nose was white. Could just be starving and can't fly, or could be sick. I would like to see a picture of the bird. It would help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts