Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thank you Margaret for mentioning my article in the latest issue of Purebred Pigeon magazine.

I know that so many of you here on Pigeon Talk have never been exposed to any kind of organized pigeon activity, and probably many of you never will outside PT. That's OK, we all appreciate your being here!

For those of you who would like to explore more into the world of pigeons, there is an almost endless number of resources, not the least of which are the periodical magazines that have been offered through the years.

For the fist decade of the 20th century, the only magazines being offered on pigeons were a combination of poultry and pigeons. The oldest of these which still exists is "Feathered World" ib the UK.

In America, there have been several magazines devoted to pigeons of all kinds, and the earliest of these were the American Pigeon Keeper, the American Squab Journal and the American Pigeon Journal. The APJ is the best known of these, having been established by a teen-aged Frank H. Hollman in about 1919, and was continuously published as a monthly magazine until 1994. Mr Hollman passed away after giving the editorship to his son-in-law, William Worley in the early 1980's. It purchased both the Squab Journal in the 1920's and the Pigeon Keeper in 1941.
Old back issues of the APJ are quite easy to find, several are offered by collecters, and may often be found posted for auction on eggbid or eBay.
The APJ was a very informative and popular magazine for its times, and virtually all articles were written by volunteers. All photos were black-and-white. Special breed issues were published, literally devoting the entire monthly magazine to a single breed. During 1993, the magazine was published sporadicaly, and April, 1994 was its last edition.

The next fairly durable publication in the US was the "Pigeon Debut", originally published in the very early 1990's and continued its monthly publication until 2005. The format was somewhat updated from that of the APJ, with full color cover and a color section in the middle. It also had many special breed issues. This magazine can often be found offered.

In 2005, Purebred Pigeon was founded as a bi-monthly magazine and is by far the most impressive of the three we have mentioned thus far. The quality of workmanship is impressive, in it's full color format, presentation and scope. While it seems rather expensive at 35.00 per year (6 issues), it is comperable to any publication offered on newstands for a higher price! Information about Purebred Pigeon can be found at: www.purebredpigeon.com

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
You would be surprised at the different types of exposure and ACTIVITY many of our members HAVE had that have nothing to do with any organization.

We are a wonderfully diverse group and have many different levels of experience with pigeons and that is what makes us so unique. I think we would all thoroughly enjoy this purebred magazine intelectually and aesthetically in the same matter. Our solidarity lies in our interest and care of pigeons.

Thank you so much for sharing with us some history of pigeon magazines especially Purebred Pigeon. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

·
Registered
875 Posts
we order "the racing pigeon"mag(uk) weekly,its an interesting read( i DONT race pigeons lol)its just got good articles on health,shows etc.i have tried to get my newsagent to order"feathered word" but with no success yet

·
Registered
896 Posts
I have a 1919 pigeon magazine, does anyone want to see a pic? :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.