Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At about 8pm yesterday (GMT) I looked out my window to see a small cat attacking something, so I rushed outside to see what it was, by this time the cat was trying to get in a bush but then fled once it saw me running towards it.

I reached into the bush and pulled out a wounded adult pigeon (it didn't even struggle or make noises, so was in a severe state of shock) and quickly headed back home.
I put it in a box with some towls and kept it in a quiet room, I noticed it had some feathers missing on it's back, and a little gash it also some blood on the tips of it's wings.

I dipped some bread in a little bit of water and left it in the box at about 3am, by this time it was more active and even making noises :)
and when i checked in the morning some of the bread was missing.

But I don't want it to get a bad infection and die, so is there anything I can do for it, like any place I can take it or something.

Please help! :(

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hi Ravealoution,

Thanks for helping this little guy out. Since you saw the attack, we at least know when this little guy was injured. Although time is of the essence, we do have a bit of time to get them on antibiotics, best is if under 48 hours. Here is a link to some UK resources and some members from over there should be along to offer further assistance, before too long. If you could put in a bit of wild-bird seed, along with the bread (quite small pieces) and water, this would be good.

Wash any scratches/wounds with warm saline water (1 teaspoon salt to 250mL of water) and apply a little antiseptic ointment on them as well after.

http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/

Good luck,

Karyn

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
You have done well...as above you just need to flush and treat the wounds and get hold of antibiotics and begin administering w/i 48 hrs (sooner the better).

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Hi

Karyn and Quazar have given good tips. Can you identify the bird as a wood pigeon or a feral? They tend to respond differently to us - wood pigeons are more wild and 'high strung' and can get more upset when handled.

The link posted has a section for rescue places which should accept pigeons for treatment. If you know of a vet who will not put pigeons down, that'll be good. The bird will need Synulox as an antibiotic (also known here as Noroclav or Clavaseptin) to forestall infection.

Just do as you are, keeping the bird warm and quiet - you can use a well wrapped hot water bottle under the bird in its box if you don't have a heatpad. Try putting a pinch of salt and sugar into just-warm water (the full mix is actually teaspoon salt, tablespon glucose or honey or sugar, 1 litre water)

John

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Hi

This is an additional place, called "Raven Haven" who I'm told will take in pigeons. It's run by Steve Burns, is in Reading area, and 'phone number is 07831124464

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

This is an additional place, called "Raven Haven" who I'm told will take in pigeons. It's run by Steve Burns, is in Reading area, and 'phone number is 07831124464

John
Thanks, done that and I took the pigeon up to him, he said it's gunna be fine and will probably be released.
Also I'm now doing volunteer work there! :D

Thanks to everyone for their help!

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Hey, that's all good stuff :)

Well done you

John

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Ravealoution, well done from me as well. Funny how one thing can lead to another, from rescuer, to volunteer, very nice indeed!

Best of luck with your endeavors there,

Karyn

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Well done! I think ravens are absolutely fascinating, I would love to have some contact with them but I don't think there are any around here!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts