Pigeon-Talk banner

Pigeon missing wing

759 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Peppermint 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have found a pigeon missing a wing after it was sheared off by a train. It was lying wounded by the tracks for some days so I brought it home. It has now rested and is eating and drinking. It now seems to be ok except for the missing wing. Currently it is living in the garden, strolling around and sheltering. My question is, what do I do next? Can it be released anywhere or will it just fall prey to something? Also, since pigeons are social, would it be happier back with other pigeons?
Thanks.

#2 ·
HI, thanks for saving him !
Can you post a picture please ?

He is not safe outside. Cat, hawks, rats can come and get him.

I think he needs a vet ASAP because there must be a bad wound. Is it still bleeding ? Have you cleaned the wound? Do you have any antibacterial medecine ?

It's a very good sign that he's eating and drinking.

He can live a good life with a wing missing but of course he is not releasable and if he survives this, he will need a safe shelter. Again I wouldn't let him free in the garden.
For now he needs warmth safety and medecine. After that, you can keep him and adopt another disabled pigeon 😉 Have them in an aviary in your garden or try to find a wild animal center for him.

#4 ·
HI, thanks for saving him !
Can you post a picture please ?

He is not safe outside. Cat, hawks, rats can come and get him.

I think he needs a vet ASAP because there must be a bad wound. Is it still bleeding ? Have you cleaned the wound? Do you have any antibacterial medecine ?

It's a very good sign that he's eating and drinking.

He can live a good life with a wing missing but of course he is not releasable and if he survives this, he will need a safe shelter. Again I wouldn't let him free in the garden.
For now he needs warmth safety and medecine. After that, you can keep him and adopt another disabled pigeon 😉 Have them in an aviary in your garden or try to find a wild animal center for him.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I can't take him to the vet because in the UK he would be put down (pigeons are classed as vermin). His wound has healed now. He walks around and comes to us. It seems he likes company.

#3 ·
Hi, a pigeon with a missing wing can't survive in the wild. He would be surely killed by a predator, a car, etc. Also he would not be able to find a safe shelter, etc.

As first thing I suggest you to bring him inside. Leave him available a bowl filled with food (a pigeon or a dove mixture and dried legumes like mung beans, small lentils and split peas) and water.

If you can't adopt him you can look for a family for him.
If you are on Facebook here is a link to a pigeon protection group based in UK. Hopefully you could find someone in your area able to help you somehow.

The wounds have healed well?

#10 ·
This is in the early days. He has been with us a month now and is stronger and has a better house! We've named him Piji.
Why don't you rather get him a cage and get him off the ground and inside your home? He is very vulnerable outside in that bucket. Can easily overheat in there as well. Are you giving him a decent seed mixture?
As mentioned in the post, he has a nice home now and he was never left outside (he was safe in the garage). All constructive advice is welcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.