Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need Help!!! Just recieved shippment of pigeons, after logging band numbers, and dusting for mites, i noticed two mites fleeing from bird crawling on my arm.... This is the first of my years of having pigeons, noticing and finding mites... NOW!!!! thats out of the way HELLLLLLLLP!!! what do i do now???

Thanks, BRH

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Well, if you dusted them there is not really much more to than isolated them from any of your other birds, which should be a routine thing to do with new birds, and then dust them again in 3-4 days and this should take care of things. You also may want to give the carry/isolation cages some attention too. What are you dusting with, by the way?

Good luck with them,

Karyn

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Need Help!!! Just recieved shippment of pigeons, after logging band numbers, and dusting for mites, i noticed two mites fleeing from bird crawling on my arm.... This is the first of my years of having pigeons, noticing and finding mites... NOW!!!! thats out of the way HELLLLLLLLP!!! what do i do now???

Thanks, BRH
:eek: What did you dust them with?
Sevin dust works really good, just don't get it in their eyes.
The mites might crawl on you to escape, but they won't stay on you.
I also sprinkle diatomacous earth around the loft and in the the corners.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, yes!!! Sevin dust i did use... will they just die, or what?? i did read somewhere, i should use vasoline to the legs and beak, what do u guys think, has anyone done this???

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thanks for the reply, yes!!! Sevin dust i did use... will they just die, or what?? i did read somewhere, i should use vasoline to the legs and beak, what do u guys think, has anyone done this???
If they have mites on their legs, you can use vaseline on their legs, as that will suffocate he mites, but you have to re-apply and everything will stick to the vaseline like loose feathers, dust and more!

If they have them all over-and it is a good likelihood, it is best to use an endo-parasite product like Scatt drops, or another wormer (like Moxidectin plus) that goes into the blood stream.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Pics are kinda blurry, but, I am thinking these are Lice, maybe Golden Lice, rather than 'Mites'.

Mites are usually sub-visual unless engourged with Blood, where, once engourged, they look like teeeeeeeeeny Pomogranate kernals creeping along - a vivid glistening translucent 'Red'.

Lice look a little like a smaller Sesame Seed or Flax Seed sorta shape, flat and elongate somewhat, and fast creepers.

Mites are actually very very tiny Spiders who have a very compact shape more like a sort of Walnut or roundish and tall shape, and are fairly slow creepers.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
You can also use ivomec in their bath water.
That would take care of both also.
Not really necessary to do your yard, lice and mites live on the host. But just as a precaution, that's why I sprinkle sevin dust and diatomacous earth around.
Diotomacous earth is not effective if it gets wet though.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes!! Pdpbison, after looking at it closely this guy is just as u discribed flat bodied, so were assuming " lice " same approach im assuming.... well i struck out here in my small town, so internet here i come.... Thanks everyone for your help...

·
Registered
10,376 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
will do, ill get it tomorrow...thanks... thus sucks cause i like to get in with my birds, and now im really cautious as to handling them, dont wonna transfer any to the house....

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The Sevin Dust should take care of it.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
They should die in a couple of hours or less with those insecticides that you applied. It is hard to figure out using the pictures that your provided. You can use the macro settings on your camera to makes things clearer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts